Westone 4r Gone..... Now What?
Dec 31, 2016 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

CAMSHAFT

Head-Fier
ALL,

I just lost my Westone 4r on an airplane a few days ago. I bought them 3 years ago and they have given me hours of great listening time. I am an educated audiophile/sound engineer but I have limited time auditioning different pieces. In 2012 I went to RMAF CANJAM and got to listen to allot of IEMs but liked very few, plus the game has changed since then. I have also auditioned most of the airport under $1k models as well, plus the KSE1500. The models minus the 4r’s that I like were the AKG k3003 and the JH13Pro. An accurate yet visceral presentation is important. I tend to stay away from bright or esoteric. As a trumpet player as well, if it doesn’t sound like the instrument then I don’t like it. HELP! Knowing what I said that I enjoy, what under $750 Universal IEMs should I steer towards.

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 8
Sooo... Over the past week I've been researching UIEMs. It seems like Campfire, Noble, and Earsonics are at the top of the heap. I would to hear recommendations on their sub $750 offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 8
I have had similar question in my thread but not much people go here. Most writes probably in IEM threads.
But I think Sage and Jupiter could be very good candidates. From reads Sage seems to be something between Savant and Kaisers so it could be very good tunning.
I had Jupiter for 5 days at home on test and it is great IEM I recomend try it, it is very dynamic accurate and alive sound, definitely not as visceral as Westone but I think it depends on your source, from a little warmer source like iPhone it was very good pairing and Westone is against it muddy, Jupiter is definitely big upgrade in my opinion and have noticeable extension on top and soundstage. Empire Ears Spartan could be very very good candidate too in this price range, I want try them a lot..

http://www.head-fi.org/t/828658/help-which-one-spartan-uerr-andromeda-es60#post_13130445

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 8
I lost my Westones as well.

Unfortunately my budget didn't allow a similar budget so I had to look lower: AKG N40.

I liked their warm sound signature but recently found them to be excellent when paired with a FiiO e6 headphone amp.

Compared to the Westone, this has a bit more warmth and bass. I also find they fit more comfortably.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 8
My 4R went into the laundry. long story short, I took a leap into the JH audio stuff and bought an Angie V1 for a great price when the Rosie came out. All I can say is their IEMs are in a totally different league. Loved my 4R because it lasted me for 5 years with a SINGLE cable. JH cables aren't as durable/light as the Westone's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back