Westone 4 vs UM3X
May 2, 2011 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kaushama

Headphoneus Supremus
It has been a long time I post here. Busy work has kept me away though I never stop enjoying my gear. I have westone 3 and UM3x for different purposes. Like UM3x more for pure music reproduction ability.
I see there is Westone 4 now when I came here. As I do not use Westone 3 more is it rartional to sell both and get Westone 4? How does do compared to UM3x for balanced reproduction of music?

May 2, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 17
I used own a UM3X before selling it off. I demo-ed a W3 and a W4 a couple of weeks ago before deciding to purchase the W4.

From what i can recall of the UM3X sound, the W4 is much better balanced, with a larger soundstage. The UM3X is far too vocal-centric IMO, and the W4 just has a better balance.

I find the fit of the W4 to be superior, but this is based on personal preference. YMMV.

May 2, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 17
W4 has a much more balanced presentation, the mids are still amazing but it's not a mid-centric earphone like the UM3X is.  The bass is a bit more textured & detailed with a little more extension, but not as present as the UM3X, however if you EQ it up it has no issues keeping up with the UM3X.

The W4's soundstage is much better for listening to music, you're still very intimate with the band/performer but don't feel as though you've got your head stuck inside the saxophone/guitar/cello or other mid-based instrument.  The improved soundstage allows more detail, air, shimmer & texture than the UM3X to be heard.

I think that the W4 is a worthwhile jump from the UM3X.  I've never heard the W3 so I can't comment on the differences there.

May 2, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 17
have had both, w4 was better, but not enough to warrant an upgrade at current prices

um3x sounds very good - the main thing i like about westone is the trebble is all there instead of the heavy rolloff on other brand iems

May 2, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #6 of 17
Does W4 has the sibilance issue W3 had? I think it uses the same housing!

May 2, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:

Depends your perspective.  Some have siblance issues with W3, some had none but I have yet to hear anyone claiming siblance issues with W4.

I much prefer the crisper, more sparkly treble of W3. 

May 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #9 of 17
If W4 has less bass than UM3x it should be quite lean on bass. UM3X does not has mid bass emphasis of W3 and pretty balanced with that department.

May 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
If W4 has less bass than UM3x it should be quite lean on bass. UM3X does not has mid bass emphasis of W3 and pretty balanced with that department.

Correct.  I, personally found it lean but many find it just right.  It certainly has less than both W3 and UM3X and probably W2 for that matter.  Relative to W4, UM3X would be considered somewhat thick in the lower register.

May 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:

Most of those, like myself, who have heard/ owned the UM3X will agree that the W4's bass is not lean at all. However, there are a few (not many, BTW) who prefer the more V-shaped type of sound presentation of the W3.

I haven't yet heard of a single person who's owned both the UM3X & W4, who misses the bass quantity of the UM3Xs. I initially reported that the W4 had less quantity, but after a few days I noticed the quantity was actually rather similar, perhaps an effect of burn-in (which I don't believe in) or, more likely, simply the result of how differently all 3 frequencies were presented in the W4s. 

I've owned all 3 and the best I've heard is the W4, followed by the UM3X and then the W3. 

May 2, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #12 of 17
Is durability an issue? UM3X won me over with the RC version which eases my mind knowing that i could swap out the cables if it ever gets damaged rather than having to junk them.

May 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #13 of 17
Depends on how you look at it, I think the Westone 4s have more clarity and details which make the UM3Xs sound muddy and bass heavier in comparison, W4s are definitely more balanced sounding. The only problem with W4s is the non-replaceable cable, which makes me extra careful whenever I'm using them, especially when I'm outdoor. Would I sell both my W3s and UM3Xs and get the W4s? I certainly would. 
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 17
Well It seems that both my W3 and UM3X gonna hit the sales section soon!
ksc75smile.gif

May 2, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:

I have heard that the W3 is very fit dependent, and so a poor fit will often result in sibilance. I had a similar problem with the Triple.fi 10 until I got a good fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back