Westone 4+Macbook Pro: What Next?
Feb 15, 2012 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Chipless

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I've been doing a lot of research, but I'm having trouble arriving at a decision, so I'm hoping for some additional guidance from those more knowledgable than myself.

I spend multiple hours per day searching for, and listening to, new electronic dance music using the following setup:
  1. Macbook Pro (5,5) running OSX Ver. 10.6.8
  2. iTunes (playing mostly 320 kbps MP3 files due to limitations of music sources)
  3. Westone 4 IEMs, with which I'm currently using the standard large foam tips (I also own a pair of UM3X, with which I've been using the supplied triple-flanged silicone tips)

At first, I was pretty blown-way by the sound quality, but it seems as though my ears have caught-up, thus I'm no longer impressed.

So, with $500 or less, what would you recommend to achieve maximum audio quality improvement? Please note, I am not willing to use a different player than iTunes, and procuring lossless files without exception is sadly not an option. That being said, I am open-minded to changing/adding just about anything else (computer settings, IEMs, tips, amps, DACs, etc.).

Thank you in advance for any insight or guidance.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 14
Any suggestions? I apologize if this is dumb question, but I just don't want to waste my time or money on things that won't make much of a difference given the setup above. I'm happy to do more research if simply pointed in the right direction. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #3 of 14
get a DAC/amp in one where you have headphone out. Or you could dedicated dac and dedicated amp with headphone out.

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 14
RSA products are all top notch and decent. Are you planning on using it for portable as well, if you are then predator is a good choice. But if its for desktop use, there are a bunch of others that are better for the value.

Quote:
Thank you for the response. So, would something like the RSA Predator be the best way to go then?

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 14
Eclipes idea is sound, but don't expect huge improvements since the source files are your bottleneck.  Yes a good dac will help but getting a really good one for under a few hundred is tough.  Ray's stuff is good and you can also find separate amps and dacs that are good for a bit less.  

Good luck

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 14
RSA products are all top notch and decent. Are you planning on using it for portable as well, if you are then predator is a good choice. But if its for desktop use, there are a bunch of others that are better for the value.

Thanks Eclipes! Now that you mention it, I do not need it be portable. Do you have any suggestions given the aforementioned budget?

Eclipes idea is sound, but don't expect huge improvements since the source files are your bottleneck.  Yes a good dac will help but getting a really good one for under a few hundred is tough.  Ray's stuff is good and you can also find separate amps and dacs that are good for a bit less.  

Good luck

Thank you for the input Bixby. I am definitely not expecting a night and day difference, but if I can make improvements that would be worth the money, then I am interested in doing so. Do you have any specific recommendations?

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 14
with a 500$ budget, you have a lot of flexibility. But unfortunately im not really experienced with desktop units for IEMs only, I mostly use IEMs with my dap. At home, its either my speakers or headphones. I am currently using Audio Gd NFB-12 which is roughly 250$ shipped for a very decent AMP+DAC. I use it as a dedicated DAC to run my speakers. Since it has a headphone out, I did try it a few times with my UM3X and it does do wonders. But if your desktop setup is strict IEM use then i think there could be plenty of choice that I don't know of. But definitely check out these items, i think some might be an interest to you.

Audio GD products- Good quality and pricing - Ranges from budget to High end equipment
Audinst MX-1 - DAC+AMP, very flexible, you could mess around with opamps, pretty darn cheap as well. Around 180 shipped
HRT Streamer Series DACs - Dedicated DAC, have a lot friends who prefer it with their Apple equipment. Simple design, clean sound.
Yulong Products - look at the D100, best of its kind in the 450-500$ range. Definitely has the potential to compete with 1000$ equipment.

All the items I listed are pretty flexible in terms of use and SQ. Just in case in the future, you might acquire headphones, speakers, the equipment can still be in good use.

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #9 of 14
Thank you so much for the suggestions Eclipes! Before you posted those suggestions, I purchased the HRT Headstreamer on a whim from Amazon since I had a gift certificate that needed to be used. Figured it was worth trying for the price.

I am going to look into those other productions you mentioned as well. I will post my impressions of the Headstreamer once it arrives.

Thanks again.

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 14
good choice Chipless, HRT streamer is a beautiful DAC. However you still need something with a headphone out unless you're using a RCA to Headphone Jack, the HRT streamer is designed to be linked to an Amp, you will get better results like that since you took the dedicated route.

Quote:
Thank you so much for the suggestions Eclipes! Before you posted those suggestions, I purchased the HRT Headstreamer on a whim from Amazon since I had a gift certificate that needed to be used. Figured it was worth trying for the price.

I am going to look into those other productions you mentioned as well. I will post my impressions of the Headstreamer once it arrives.

Thanks again.

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #13 of 14
My $500 spend would be for a Ross Martin 1704 dac and a JDS Labs c421 amp.  Most iems actually work best with portable amps where the designs are for lower impedance headphones like iems.  Many desktop amps like mid to higher impedance loads with higher gain.  This can lead to increased hiss levels with lower impedance iems that are highly sensitive. going this route also gives you a fair amount of flexibility to upgrade in the future.  All else you need is a good glass toslink or usb cable and rca to mini to get started.

Hope this helps.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 14
Update: Just received the HRT Headstreamer. Setup process was non-existent as I simply connected the device via the supplied USB cable to my MacBook and plugged my headphones into the device. I was immediately impressed by the improved sound quality. Better instrument separation and a fuller soundstage without coloration were noticeable immediately. It seems that vocals are more life-like as well.

I might just have to procure another DAC & Amp for comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back