Westone 3s with the Shure Olive Foams?
Dec 28, 2008 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
Anybody else using the Shure's black olive foams with the Westone 3s. I've been using them for a day and I am very pleased with the sound and comfort. The sound is a lot more resolved in the bass region for me than any of the Westone Supplied foams.

I currently am in possession of so many IEMs that I've lost track of what I own and what I have sold, but I currently believe I am in possession of the Etymotic ER4P (with the S converter), Shure SE530, SE420, E4C, Westone UM2, Westone 3, Ultimate Ears UE10 Pro, Triple Fi 10 Pro, Sensaphonics 2XS, Sony EX700

I really do want to hear the Sennheiser IE8 to make a final determination as to which is the best IEM, I would own the UE11, but my fit with the UE10s never was perfect so I wasn't going to blow another grand on the UE11s.....

So far I will say that with 100% conviction that the Westone 3s are without question worth the 400 bucks. Whether they are the best of the bunch I am not sure yet. I have a lot of respect for the SE530 and the Triple Fis sound great even though the ergonomic design is pitiful.

My only beef with the Westone 3 is that the bass region at times can appear less defined than I'd personally like......I would imagine this sound would thrill bassheads and hip hop listeners......it's a bit intrusive when listening to classical which I often do. It doesn't ruin the quality of the IEMs, but it's just something I feel does prevent the Westone 3 from me calling the unequivocal best IEM on the market. The midrange and Highs are unsurpassed, and if I can find a tip for the Shures that reduces the bass bloat they will actually surpass my much beloved UE10 Pro.......

If someone thinks the UM56 will resolve much of this issue please comment below......but please only comment if you have experience with the UM56
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 8
I've been using medium olives with my Westone 3 since day two and have been a happy camper. I prefer them to all the included comply tips because I felt the comply tips mask the treble just a tad. I also couldn't find much comfort in any of the included flanged tips but I did with the modded biflanges until I botched the modding. The olives mate very well with the 3's imo
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 8
I would like to buy some Shure olives to try them with my W3's - but can someone please tell me how the Shure sizes (S, M and L) compares to the size of the tips that came with the W3 - especially the complies?

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 8
The medium sized olives that I use are a bit bigger than the short complies that came with the Westone 3. I'm not sure how big/small the small olives are compared to the complies though.

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using medium olives with my Westone 3 since day two and have been a happy camper. I prefer them to all the included comply tips because I felt the comply tips mask the treble just a tad. I also couldn't find much comfort in any of the included flanged tips but I did with the modded biflanges until I botched the modding. The olives mate very well with the 3's imo
smily_headphones1.gif

Except that I have been using the Shure olives from week two not day two, this is my feeling exactly. I like the Shure olives better than anything that was supplied with the Westone 3's.

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 8
Anyone tried the Etymotic foamies? I prefer them than all the supplied tips, for me they tame the bass a little and seem more balanced than the comply. Anyone compared them to the olives?

Can someone give a size comparison of the small olives? and where's a good place to buy online

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 8
Go the UM56; tightening up/taming the bass region and bringing the mids forward just a tad, are just some of the benefits. yes, check my sig out I own them
wink.gif
this way I find that I dont have to use rockbox EQ often, if at all for all listening I used to knock back around the lower-mid bass about 1-1.5db, but I find I dont often do that anymore and could really do without EQ all together. I highly recommend them. BTW I also own the SE530 and the UM56 works a treat on them as well. I cant say it means that the mids are on par with SE530 still, but its pretty darn close IMO

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 8
Interesting. I tried the Shure olives with the W3's and didn't like them at all. They were extremely sibilant. The thin complys give me perfect seal and wonderful sound. Very happy with this purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back