Westone 3s or Shure se530 or another triple driver IEM?
Nov 16, 2010 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

zdkaiser

100+ Head-Fier
So, I am looking to buy a top-tier triple driver IEM. I have narrowed it down to two of the most popular models, the Shure SE530 and the Westone 3. (but I am also open for suggestions)

I just wanted to get some advice from you all about what you think would be best for me.

I listen to a wide variety of music: indie rock/post rock/jam bands/electronic/jazz/folk/etc. It is all over the board. Most of the music is either lossless or high bitrate mp3s. the source would be a 5.5gen ipod video. a portable amp my be in the works, but i had an ibasso D2 Boa and most of the time I just didn't feel like carting it around with me. so, amp-less is most likely.

I have only had two IEMs in the past. The Shure E2c and the Shure se310. I really liked the E2c IEMs. Overall I loved how well they sealed and fit in my ears. The sound quality wasn't anything to brag about, but I still loved them for what they were. So, I sold them a while back and decided to upgrade to the se310s. I had good luck with the Shures in the past and they have a rugid construction, so I thought, let's give it another try.  I hated the se310s. I couldn't get a good seal, and the sound was flat and boring with almost no bass response. i couldn't believe people would pay $175 for those IEMs. given, it may just because the seal I achieved was so poor. i practically jammed those things into my inner ear and still couldn't get a good seal.

what i am looking for is this:
clear sound, not terribly bright, but not rolled off treble, and a nice punchy bass. something that doesn't make me immediately EQ them. not so much a neutral, flat sound, but something fun. overly bright headphones fatigue me quickly.

if this helps, I currently use Beyer DT770-250ohms and I like their sound signature. I also like the spaciousness of the AKG K702, however, I like a little more bass than what the AKGs can provide pre-EQing. i use Grado sr-225i, but with comfies because i found them to be too bright with bowl pads.

Price is also a consideration. I was hoping to just snag up a used pair of these IEMs for around $200-250. I know the Shure's seem more readily available in that price range on this forum.

thanks.

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
So, I am looking to buy a top-tier triple driver IEM. I have narrowed it down to two of the most popular models, the Shure SE530 and the Westone 3. (but I am also open for suggestions)

I just wanted to get some advice from you all about what you think would be best for me.

I listen to a wide variety of music: indie rock/post rock/jam bands/electronic/jazz/folk/etc. It is all over the board. Most of the music is either lossless or high bitrate mp3s. the source would be a 5.5gen ipod video. a portable amp my be in the works, but i had an ibasso D2 Boa and most of the time I just didn't feel like carting it around with me. so, amp-less is most likely.

I have only had two IEMs in the past. The Shure E2c and the Shure se310. I really liked the E2c IEMs. Overall I loved how well they sealed and fit in my ears. The sound quality wasn't anything to brag about, but I still loved them for what they were. So, I sold them a while back and decided to upgrade to the se310s. I had good luck with the Shures in the past and they have a rugid construction, so I thought, let's give it another try.  I hated the se310s. I couldn't get a good seal, and the sound was flat and boring with almost no bass response. i couldn't believe people would pay $175 for those IEMs. given, it may just because the seal I achieved was so poor. i practically jammed those things into my inner ear and still couldn't get a good seal.

what i am looking for is this:
clear sound, not terribly bright, but not rolled off treble, and a nice punchy bass. something that doesn't make me immediately EQ them. not so much a neutral, flat sound, but something fun. overly bright headphones fatigue me quickly.

if this helps, I currently use Beyer DT770-250ohms and I like their sound signature. I also like the spaciousness of the AKG K702, however, I like a little more bass than what the AKGs can provide pre-EQing. i use Grado sr-225i, but with comfies because i found them to be too bright with bowl pads.

Price is also a consideration. I was hoping to just snag up a used pair of these IEMs for around $200-250. I know the Shure's seem more readily available in that price range on this forum.

thanks.

Normally, I'd suggest the W3.  However, given your choice of cans, I'm inclined to suggest the W2's as an alternative.  They are more balanced than the W3 and probably much closer to the cans you prefer.  The W3's bass is outstanding, but coming from a Grado or AKG, you might find them overpowering.  I haven't heard the 530, but I have the 535 which, according to those that have owned both, have better treble.  Well, the 535's treble isn't quite there compared to the W3.  I find it rolled off or lacking in comparison to the Westones.  I've tamed the W3's highs with the Shure Olive and Comply tips and absolutely wouldn't want any less sparkle than what they have now. The bass of the W3's is intoxicating for me.  It will definitely answer the call for electronic music and pop.  I don't find the bass intrusive with other genres, it behaves very well with jazz, acoustic, classical, and rock.  But I like my bass, so take that with a grain of salt.

The W2's might be just the ticket.  They are warm, fun and are closer to neutral than their big brothers.  They still provide plenty of punch, but they've never been called bass monsters.  They are a great all around IEM.  They can handle any genre of music you through at them, and they are definitely not fatiguing in any way.  They are also cheaper than the W3's and may be easier to find than the 530's.  Best of luck in your search.

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 4
thanks for the response.

the W3 sound good. i too, like a lot of bass. you wouldn't know it by my headphone selection, but i am coming to think that i am more of a basshead than an audiophile. i think i have a nice mix of headphones for different genres. the grado 225 do somethings well, the k702s have their own niche, and the dt770 are just fun bass cannons. i am mostly looking for a nice IEM to complete my collection (and for travel).

i think the W2 would be nice, but i have a feeling that i will enjoy them and then just wonder what the W3 would have to offer. so, i figure i might as well go for the top of line Westones right off the bat.

mostly, i am just concerned with headphones being too bright. i don't like overly bright headphones (although many would say that about the K702s and the grado 225s). and from my experience with the se310s, the shure IEMs are too recessed in the high end. i need to find the middle ground and was wondering if the W3 is it?

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
thanks for the response.

the W3 sound good. i too, like a lot of bass. you wouldn't know it by my headphone selection, but i am coming to think that i am more of a basshead than an audiophile. i think i have a nice mix of headphones for different genres. the grado 225 do somethings well, the k702s have their own niche, and the dt770 are just fun bass cannons. i am mostly looking for a nice IEM to complete my collection (and for travel).

i think the W2 would be nice, but i have a feeling that i will enjoy them and then just wonder what the W3 would have to offer. so, i figure i might as well go for the top of line Westones right off the bat.

mostly, i am just concerned with headphones being too bright. i don't like overly bright headphones (although many would say that about the K702s and the grado 225s). and from my experience with the se310s, the shure IEMs are too recessed in the high end. i need to find the middle ground and was wondering if the W3 is it?

If that's the case, then learn from my mistake.. After finding this site and researching every IEM I could, I felt that the W3's would be the best fit for me.  Well, they were more than I wanted to spend at the time (for new) and they weren't available used, so I went on an IEM journey of sorts.  Finally, I found them for a great price.  I was right, they were everything I hoped they would be and more.  It was a fun journey and a great learning experience (I've heard just about every IEM I've ever wanted to hear) but I should have trusted my gut and went for them a long time ago.

I say go for it.  Buy them used to minimize your risk and give them a chance. Keep an eye on the For Sale forum, they are usually available.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back