Westone 3 vs Westone UM3X
May 5, 2009 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

seanzh12

New Head-Fier
Hi all:

Looking to get a pair of them, but not sure which, any suggestions? I heard Westone 3 is more brighter while UM3X is more neutral is that true?..and which one do you prefer?
beerchug.gif

Thanks in advance

May 5, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 21
i got sick of deciding so I chose UM3X. Dont ask for reasons, I went along with gut instinct and friend's flip of a coin.

May 5, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by seanzh12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all:

Looking to get a pair of them, but not sure which, any suggestions? I heard Westone 3 is more brighter while UM3X is more neutral is that true?..and which one do you prefer?

Thanks in advance

9 posts only and already started 4 threads!!?? -- Yeah, why use the search function if I can start a new thread whenever I've got a question. However, thank God for this new thread because it's just what Head-fi needed!! Miles better than this other one:http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/u...on-3-a-422754/

May 5, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
9 posts only and already started 4 threads!!?? -- Yeah, why use the search function if I can start a new thread whenever I've got a question. However, thank God for this new thread because it's just what Head-fi needed!! Miles better than this other one:http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/u...on-3-a-422754/

Wow there, way to make a new person feel welcome! I bet you feel really smart and savy now...

May 5, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 21
when the w3 came out it was touted as the greatest IEM ever..musical nirvana...now we have a new version and all of a sudden it is the holy grail and....there are differences but most of it is psychological..take it from one who has bought and sold tons of IEM's

May 5, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 21
And you know that because you have heard both the W3s and the UM3X? Right? If not, buying and selling IEMs is not really proof that the UM3X isn't an improvement over the W3. Heck, I've bought and sold two dozen IEMs, and still would not feel qualified to comment on the UM3X and W3 comparison, since I haven't heard the former.

Seems people who own both favor the UM3X. I have the W3s and really do like them, but fit problems persist somewhat, and cause me to have to use EQ. If I could eliminate that, I would call them musical nirvana. Time will tell, but this time, the positive reviews are more measured, and have something from Westone (W3) as comparison.

May 5, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 21
I just came back from an audition for the UM3X. I only spent about 15 mins and 5 songs with them. SO this is just my first impression and I will probably re-audition it again in a few days. As of now,.. I am still a fan of W3 but I am considering to get the UM3X for Classical/Jazz Music and Band Practice.

First I noticed that there is a lot less bass. Mid-Bass to be exact. So... there is less of a boom-boom-boom quality. And the High is less pronounced than the W3. The mids of the UM3X is just as nice as the W3 but without the mid-bass bump I think mids are clearer to my ears. Again,.. this is just my first impression and I tested it with some Modest Mouse, Little Joy, Dido, and some Alfred Brandel playing Liszt's Bagatelle without Tonality. Will try it again and report back in a few days...

I do believe that Westone is not stupid enough to shoot themselves in the foot by releasing two IEMs within 6 month, while the later is a much improved version of the formal. I think it's just like Powederhound stated in the UM3X site, I think the W3 was designed for most consumers who enjoy Hip Hop, Funk, Rock the Modern Pop Genres and the UM3X is better suited for Classical, Jazz and monitoring...

May 5, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 21
This sucks... I want to try some UM3X's now... I loved the fit of UM2s for a universal IEM. But really it's just a waste of money because it's very unlikely i'll replace the UE-10 pros anytime soon. sigh.

May 5, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guarneri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This sucks... I want to try some UM3X's now... I loved the fit of UM2s for a universal IEM. But really it's just a waste of money because it's very unlikely i'll replace the UE-10 pros anytime soon. sigh.

The UE-10 pro and the UM3X both supposedly have a flat frequency response which is great for monitoring. So your not really missing out on much I'll say...

May 5, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bull Moose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow there, way to make a new person feel welcome! I bet you feel really smart and savy now...

No, I don't. The OP started this thread asking the same question he'd only asked the day before on the main UM3X thread (see his/ her post here:http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...ml#post5658609), and as I said on my earlier post, there already was an identical thread which, btw, happened to have been started also yesterday!

Why start a thread like this one (now twice) so soon - it's not even one week since the UM3X came out. I think at this stage it makes referencing - who said what, when, where - more difficult, and simply confuses things more.

And frankly, to start 4 threads after only 9 posts strikes me as lazy.

May 5, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #15 of 21
I hear that, and I see your point. I put in an order today for a pair so hopefully I can contribute to the general consensus on these new IEMs! Let's carry on then, shall we?
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back