Westone 3 Vs. Westone UM3X for Trance and Rap
Nov 23, 2012 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

solstice15

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, as the title says, I'm trying to decide between these 2 for a new pair of IEMs. 
Any opinions?

-edit-
Dont know if this changes anything but,
I have (and plan to keep) a pair of TF 10's. Also, W4s are an option as well. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 3
Stereotypically, yes, but those are 2 out of my 3 most-listened-to genres, and I vastly prefer the UM3x to the W3.

Here's a question: are you really just looking for the next step up in SQ, or do you want something that really suits your genres better, and would be a great compliment to your TF10? Because for the combination of trance and rap, I would recommend the Klipsch X10 before anything mentioned. Loads cheaper, much better suited to your genres, and about as user-friendly as BA IEMs get, period. It's not a triple driver, IEM-staple-brand flagship, but it stands almost right up to my TF10 and SM3 in terms of detail and overall SQ, and the deep bass it provides just makes any kind of bass-dependent genre a pleasure to listen to. It compliments the TF10 VERY well, IMO; sure, it's a bit on the warm side, and the treble isn't hyperextended, but overall it doesn't do anything really wrong, and is a smooth, detailed, very capable IEM with exceptional bass that picks up on deep details, especially in electronic music and well-produced hiphop and dub, that even most high-end triple-driver IEMs won't do full justice to. I like going to my X10s when I want a more relaxed listen, when I just don't want the sometimes-fatiguing treble of my unfiltered SM3 and TF10. It's not a basshead phone, really, because the impact and raw power of a dynamic driver or W3 just isn't there, but the impact is almost on par with TF10, and the body and extension are much more obvious, making the X10 much more full-sounding overall than any other BA I've heard, which includes UM3x, W3, SM3, and TF10, all known for their above-average bass capabilities as BA based IEMs.

The W3 is definitely suited to both genres as well, and you might very well like them, but I think it's more important to think about the type of sound signature you are looking for in particular. What is it that your TF10 lacks, that you feel the need for more IEMs? What gap in your listening are you trying to fill?
Hi guys, as the title says, I'm trying to decide between these 2 for a new pair of IEMs. 
Any opinions?

-edit-
Dont know if this changes anything but,
I have (and plan to keep) a pair of TF 10's. Also, W4s are an option as well. 

Quote:
Trance and Rap - W3 hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back