Westone 3 Vs. UM3X ?
Nov 6, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #16 of 36
Thanks For Sharing Lisztian
My W3 are right now at the UPS Office for departure and exchange UM3X.
I've been reading that you can still upgrade the sound with an external amp. like the iBassio's and get The Kick on the Bass that you much like on the Drums.

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #19 of 36
UM3Xs not need much amping. They run well with Touch 2G, iPhone 3Gs.....
But, better DAC+AMP can help to get better SQ or different sound signature.

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #21 of 36
You need to buy both and compare them for yourself. Sell the ones you like least. There is no other way to know which ones will suit you better. I bought the UM3x first based on the number of people who switched from W3 to UM3x. After finding them very lackluster with the music I listen to, I purchased the W3 and find them much more satisfying.

Everyone's experiences are different and no amount of reading will tell you which ones YOU will enjoy more. I barely lost any money selling my lightly used UM3x here on head-fi. If you purchase them used or on eBay with Bing cashback then it's a no-brainer to demo/compare both modes side by side so that you'll KNOW which ones suit you better.

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #22 of 36
Eventhough UM3Xs are rated at 56 ohm, but the sensitivity 124db@1mW makes the UM3Xs very sensitive/efficient. UM3Xs use much lesser power to drive than my PFEs (32 ohm/107db@1mW).

Touch 2G and iPhone 3G have high power ouput, and at full volume level, with UM3Xs you may get EAR SHATTERING sound. So, becareful!
smily_headphones1.gif

DAC or AMP via LOD can help you get better dynamic, clarity, details and sometime the sound signature that you love.

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #23 of 36
Your'e probably right jkozlow3
any way I all ready made up my mind and the W3 are on their way for an exchange for the UM3. Hopefully i made a good choice after reading and evaluating each characteristics that I felt suit my style. But definitely the best way to choose is trying both.

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eventhough UM3Xs are rated at 56 ohm, but the sensitivity 124db@1mW makes the UM3Xs very sensitive/efficient. UM3Xs use much lesser power to drive than my PFEs (32 ohm/107db@1mW).

Touch 2G and iPhone 3G have high power ouput, and at full volume level, with UM3Xs you may get EAR SHATTERING sound. So, becareful!
smily_headphones1.gif

DAC or AMP via LOD can help you get better dynamic, clarity, details and sometime the sound signature that you love.

Thank's Again Bakhtiar
I don't doubt your Knowledge so i'll try them with out amp and see how it goes on my iPod Classic 80G, ill be careful with the volume.
cool.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by iburdeinick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah Its The Logical Sequence...
How about a good amp to go with The UM3X and the iPod classic?

I run iPod Classic 160gb (Sept '09 version)/ RSA The Shadow/UM3X.
Works a treat, just be sure to use a LOD.

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-fi Wigwammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I run iPod Classic 160gb (Sept '09 version)/ RSA The Shadow/UM3X.
Works a treat, just be sure to use a LOD.

i'm thinking of picking up a shadow for almost this same rig. have you listened to the UM3X with any other amps? i've had a loaned Xin Supermini IV for a bit, but i had to give it back. it was a fantastic improvement, so i have to replace it soon or face a nervous breakdown.

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #28 of 36
The only other portable amp i've tried is the PiiO E5. Of course the Shadow is miles better. It really is an astonishing little amp and so small you hardly realise you're carrying it!

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #29 of 36
Westone announced The launch of The W2 for November 27, Here's the review from earphonesolutios: " Earphone Solutions.com just received the word! OK. Now the family is complete! The new Westone 2 Dual Driver Earphones with passive crossover is being launched on November 27th.

The new Westone 2 has the same exact casing as the Westone 1, so it will be along with the Westone 1, the most comfortable earphones we have tested so far but with 2 drivers which should improve bass.

The new Westone 2 has a blue "2" marked on the earpiece. It has the same appearance as the Westone 3 but with smaller earpieces.

The cable design is the same as the Westone 1 which was further improved from the older series.

Earphone Solutions will start shipping these babies on November 27th.

You may place your pre-order for the Westone 2 now and we will only charge your credit card on the day we ship them (exception for PayPal payments).

We are very excited for this announcement as this will be by a long shot the smallest dual driver earphones ever built and with Westone's known cable design and comfort, at only $249, the Westone 2 is set to crush a bunch of competitors in the price range of $200-$350 "

And I'm Still waiting For The UM3X that are on the way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back