Westone 3 Vs. UM3X ?
Nov 5, 2009 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

iscorpio71

100+ Head-Fier
Need Help!
Can some one help me decide on the UMX3 Vs The W3... i've been reading a lot and it seems that the UM3 Outruns The W3. I'm not a professional musician but audiophile, i listen mostly to Electronic, Indie Rock/Folk, Jazz, Trip Hop and Classical ( almost any kind of Gender, But nothing but the best ).
I Owed a UE Superfi 5 Pro for two years before the cable fail, so now im looking for a replacement.
Thanks

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 36
I'd like to know too, for listening to jazz and classical.; Amping with Minibox E and maybe the Pico Slim when it comes out

Nov 5, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 36
Um3x = analytical, detailed, neutral, balanced soundstage
W3= U-shaped soundstage, bassier than UM3x, fun sounding (not colored though)

Kontenta = Westone 3 would suit you, according to your music preferences.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 36
Thanks iDark
W3 Would Probably suit most cos it was created for prosumer target. and it's being heavily market. But i Think The UMX3 with amp. would sound better... it was created from the ground up for musician, as Westone states, and that being the case i fell it would work for me.
What Amp do you recommend?

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 36
You've read up on it, but needed to start a new thread? There are tons of comparisons on the UM3X and W3 threads. It's all been said, more than once. I would go back and check again. Guarantee you will find all the data you need to decide.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 36
tstarn06:
Yes There are way too many... and it gets a bit frustrating because they dilute.
Thats way i started another Thread to concentrate on the subject. Can you send me a link to a specific Comment that would definitely make some one decide.
Thank You

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 36
You want me to research it for you? Just scan the headlines in the UM3X and W4 threads, ask people in those threads via PM or post. I guess it gets tiresome to me when people start threads that have been asked and answered. I see you asked Ed on his UM3X thread. HPA also posted on it. You won't get better answers than that. There is no specific comment to "make" someone decide. The differences are well documented. Pick the Westone that fits you best. It's that simple. Seems to me, reading over the W3 and UM3X threads would deliver tons of data with which to make a decision. No one can make you decide in a single comment.

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 36
Thanks again tstarn06:
I wasn't asking for any research, just orientation., Cos you've been more time around and all ready own a UMX3? and had before the W3?
I've been reading the threads and im more inclined for the UM3., and of course no one can decide only on one comment., but experienced people can help make a decision.

Nov 6, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 36
I would recommend the W3s as well.

Normally the UM3X fail to entertain some people because they find them "boring", but that's not entirely true; it just lacks a large soundstage and have a rather average quantity of bass. If you really like midrange (vocals) more than anything else the UM3X certainly does better than W3s.

I've had both and sold off the W3s.

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 36
Thank Derek
I'm Sending back unopened the W3 For an exchange on the UM3X. I don't mind the lack of accessories because i already have them from the UE Superfi 5 Pro. And yes i do enjoy Mids and Bass ( i've read that UM3 have enough and accurate Bass ), i'm also planning on buying a portable amp. if i don't find the sound strong enough, do you own one? and if so witch one do you recommend.
Thanks

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by iburdeinick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank Derek
I'm Sending back unopened the W3 For an exchange on the UM3X. I don't mind the lack of accessories because i already have them from the UE Superfi 5 Pro. And yes i do enjoy Mids and Bass ( i've read that UM3 have enough and accurate Bass ), i'm also planning on buying a portable amp. if i don't find the sound strong enough, do you own one? and if so witch one do you recommend.
Thanks

Sorry I stopped using portable amp long time ago... just find it too much of a hassle. You might as well ask that in the amp section, they should have better answers for you.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by iburdeinick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks again tstarn06:
I wasn't asking for any research, just orientation., Cos you've been more time around and all ready own a UMX3? and had before the W3?
I've been reading the threads and im more inclined for the UM3., and of course no one can decide only on one comment., but experienced people can help make a decision.

My main point is unless you try them both, you will never know which one suits you best. If you can't get a good fit, the W3s are problematic. But if you are going to get custom sleeves, they are both excellent IEMs. Again, your ears need to decide. I did have both and wish I could afford t keep both, but in the end, chose the UM3X.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #13 of 36
UM3Xs sound fine with my DAPs (cheap PMP, Samsung S5 and Sony Walkman NWZ-X1060) and of course my reference source the iBasso D10 (DAC mode). If you ran out of universal tips, then the custom sleeves always an option for you to enjoy the 'real' UM3Xs sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

IMO, there is no problem with the bass and mid, only the treble quantity is not 'fun' enough. Don't get me wrong, UM3Xs really can give very nice detailed and clear treble, and with certain tips it is 'just' enough for some peoples. The good thing is, almost sibilant free and non fatiguing sound. Also, helps/ease our ears to recognized other sounds. This is what we perceived as 'seperation'. IMO, this is the true meaning of sound 'MONITOR'

In few weeks time, I am getting a pair of custom IEMs, and I will keep the UM3Xs as backup.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 36
I can only speak from personal experience and my ears: )

I went from Superfi 5 Pro to W3 after reading all the positive reviews here. Bought the W3 for two weeks, then discovered all the positive reviews of the new UM3X when it came out.

I went to the headphone store to listen to um3x and compare back and forth with my w3. I listened to songs from Jazz to Pop to Rock to Classical, and some instrumental tracks all ripped in 320kbps... Then I decided to get the UM3X and sell off my W3 for a loss because I can't return or exchange IEMs in Taiwan.

I am really really happy now: ) My discovery is that with almost all the music I listen to, UM3X is a clear winner to my ears; with the exception of System Of A Down where the bass drum sounds really fun with the W3 at the expense of lesser detail.

Again... I talking out of my ears.

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #15 of 36
Oh yeah... and then a few weeks later, I sent my superfi 5 Pro to Unique Melody for a custom re-shell work and additional driver. I like the the Customs that I have now even more. The UM3X is now only being used as a back-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back