Westone 3 vs UM3x
Jul 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #31 of 48
@outlandos...You are entering into "you won't know until you try" territory. I can not use any tips shorter than the tri-flanges or large Complys, while other find the shorter tips, foamies or silicones, are fine. It comes with a large fit kit, so try em all, and if none work, then try the modded tri-flanges. You can PM for the deal with those, because the discussions of modding the flanges are buried deep in the W3 thread.

And while I don't have them yet, what IHamp says. I hope to just get the 56s someday.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by lhamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have um56 tips... if you're going to go with the W3's, they're definitely worth the investment... they improve the sound of the 3's quite a bit... they clean everything up and tame the highs which can get a little out of hand.

I've never tried the olives with the W3's, but you really can't do better than custom tips.... more money, yes... but, again, I think it's worth it if you can swing it.

I would love to buy these!! But FMA doesnt accept internatinal orders on these..
frown.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #33 of 48
I personally use the soft grey silicone tips - the large ones with the W3 and the medium ones with the UM3X's. In MY case all other tips were uncomfortable and wrong sounding both on the W3 & UM3X (and SE530). Be warned though, that the UM3X (unlike the W3) does NOT include the soft silicone tips and other accessories.

As far as I know, only the UM3X is made in the US and the W3 in China, but the W3 definitely has a slightly better build quality - the UM3X looks sort of hand-made. My first pair was defective (vibration on left earpiece, which was part of the first batch some people reported having problems with) and the second set is absolutely fine but they had very minor cosmetic differences.

I think, and I've said this before, the W3 has a more 'cool', perhaps even stylish (for some), look to it. I personally prefer the more low-profile and less flashy look of UM3X, but I think most would prefer the W3 in that regard. By contrast, and though useless really, the packaging of the UM3X is very cool looking unlike the W3's, which looks more like packaging for medical equipment - I prefer the latter's packaging - Yes, I'm not cool...anymore. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
on a side note, who do you think would win in a fight? the klingons (if their home world had not been destroyed and have access to star trek vi-like cloaking devices) or the borg?

I thought that was really funny.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
on a side note, who do you think would win in a fight? the klingons (if their home world had not been destroyed and have access to star trek vi-like cloaking devices) or the borg?

the klingons, they would just rename all their ships "voyager" and then they would become instantly invincible against the borg

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally use the soft grey silicone tips - the large ones with the W3 and the medium ones with the UM3X's. In MY case all other tips were uncomfortable and wrong sounding both on the W3 & UM3X (and SE530). Be warned though, that the UM3X (unlike the W3) does NOT include the soft silicone tips and other accessories.

+1 Before I got my custom tips I was using the Large silicones... for me, those were the only stock tips that I liked... and they are incredibly comfortable.

As Music points out, the um3x's only come with Complys... but I think the guy who asked the question was leaning towards the W3's.

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

+1 Before I got my custom tips I was using the Large silicones... for me, those were the only stock tips that I liked... and they are incredibly comfortable.

As Music points out, the um3x's only come with Complys... but I think the guy who asked the question was leaning towards the W3's.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-9402415..._2061_18844529

Which on the picture are the (large) sillicones? I am a noob I know.. :')

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #38 of 48
I’ve been swapping back and forth between the Westone 3s and the UM3Xs for 2 weeks now. The Westone 3s were a bit hard for me to fit. I ended up with the large Comply tips which do absorb a bit of the high frequency spectrum, though as the tips have gotten more wax-and-wear, the highs seem to be coming back. I’m using the black Shure foams on the UM3Xs for their good isolation. Both are being driven by my Ipod 6G Classic or 3G Iphone.

The 3s are made in China, as has been mentioned previously, while the UM3Xs had no indication of product origin on the box. The 3s have a very polished appearance like you would expect from a mass market product. The UM3X case showed multiple tooling marks on the plastic, as though the molds were prototypes. On the right earpiece, the black portion of the nozzle molding doesn’t sit exactly flush with the clear plastic piece. There is room to insert about 2 sheets of paper between the black plastic nozzle molding and the clear plastic. There are also some filing marks on the UM3X where mold flash was removed. The mat texturing on the nozzle of the UM3X is not consistent close to the base of the nozzle. This is not an indictment of the UM3X quality, just a comment on the custom/prototype/hand made nature of the build.

From a sound quality standpoint, the Westone 3s have a more open, more spacious sound stage than the UM3Xs. The UM3Xs are a bit muffled in comparison. As noted by others, the bass is more prominent with the 3s than with the UM3Xs. White noise sounds a bit whiter with the 3s than with the UM3Xs due to what I perceive as a smoother frequency extension of the 3s. However, the UM3Xs seem to have some super high frequency harmonics that produce a high frequency sheen on electronic music which the 3s lack. This is a bit paradoxical to me—which noise sounds whiter on the 3s than on the UM3Xs though they have deeper bass. I suspect the UM3Xs have a bumpy response curve above 2-4k Hz compared to the 3s, though I have not seen a frequency curve to verify this. The 3s show less apparent sound characteristic change as the volume is adjusted from low to high than the UM3Xs. However, the bass on the 3s can be so overwhelming that classical music just doesn’t sound right—contrabasses leap right out of the orchestra and into your lap with the 3s compared to the UM3Xs. The right channel of an orchestral mix with the cellos and basses can sound too forward and out of balance compared to the left string sections.

My current favorite is the Westone 3. I’ve been reaching for it more often than the UM3Xs for their strengths with rock, electronic, dance music, and the “fun” they bring to my listening enjoyment. For classical, the UM3Xs win out. For mixing music, I will pick the UM3Xs. Both are great earphones.

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #39 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodHappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’ve been swapping back and forth between the Westone 3s and the UM3Xs for 2 weeks now. The Westone 3s were a bit hard for me to fit. I ended up with the large Comply tips which do absorb a bit of the high frequency spectrum, though as the tips have gotten more wax-and-wear, the highs seem to be coming back. I’m using the black Shure foams on the UM3Xs for their good isolation. Both are being driven by my Ipod 6G Classic or 3G Iphone.

The 3s are made in China, as has been mentioned previously, while the UM3Xs had no indication of product origin on the box. The 3s have a very polished appearance like you would expect from a mass market product. The UM3X case showed multiple tooling marks on the plastic, as though the molds were prototypes. On the right earpiece, the black portion of the nozzle molding doesn’t sit exactly flush with the clear plastic piece. There is room to insert about 2 sheets of paper between the black plastic nozzle molding and the clear plastic. There are also some filing marks on the UM3X where mold flash was removed. The mat texturing on the nozzle of the UM3X is not consistent close to the base of the nozzle. This is not an indictment of the UM3X quality, just a comment on the custom/prototype/hand made nature of the build.

From a sound quality standpoint, the Westone 3s have a more open, more spacious sound stage than the UM3Xs. The UM3Xs are a bit muffled in comparison. As noted by others, the bass is more prominent with the 3s than with the UM3Xs. White noise sounds a bit whiter with the 3s than with the UM3Xs due to what I perceive as a smoother frequency extension of the 3s. However, the UM3Xs seem to have some super high frequency harmonics that produce a high frequency sheen on electronic music which the 3s lack. This is a bit paradoxical to me—which noise sounds whiter on the 3s than on the UM3Xs though they have deeper bass. I suspect the UM3Xs have a bumpy response curve above 2-4k Hz compared to the 3s, though I have not seen a frequency curve to verify this. The 3s show less apparent sound characteristic change as the volume is adjusted from low to high than the UM3Xs. However, the bass on the 3s can be so overwhelming that classical music just doesn’t sound right—contrabasses leap right out of the orchestra and into your lap with the 3s compared to the UM3Xs. The right channel of an orchestral mix with the cellos and basses can sound too forward and out of balance compared to the left string sections.

My current favorite is the Westone 3. I’ve been reaching for it more often than the UM3Xs for their strengths with rock, electronic, dance music, and the “fun” they bring to my listening enjoyment. For classical, the UM3Xs win out. For mixing music, I will pick the UM3Xs. Both are great earphones.

Thank you sir! I made up my mind: Westone 3 it is!

I just want to know something more about the cable's length, because I hate it if it's too long or too short!

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #40 of 48
The cable distance from the drivers to the Y merge on both Westones is about 2 inches shorter than on the SE530's or Etymotics. Effectively, you will end up inserting your drivers before looping the cable over your ears. The overall length of the cable is a bit shorter than the Shure or Etymotics. I find it just right.

This cable is the best at minimizing microphonics of any cable I have experienced. At the same time, I wonder how it will hold up under the inevitable catches and tugs. Time will tell, and I've not read of any troubles with breakage on this cable.

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

IMHO, the fit and finish of the W3's is FAR superior to the UM3X's, which, to me, look and feel sort of cheap. That said, I find the UM3X's superior in what matters most: sound quality. They just give me a more accurate reproduction of what the artists recorded, and that's exactly what I'm looking for. As others have mentioned, the UM3X's are a bit more comfortable as well.

Hmmm, i think that the Um3X is built better with better material, but the Westone 3 has a better look and finish to them. Personal opinion i guess.

Jul 13, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodHappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Very nice analysis, and makes me glad I stuck with the W3s. Now, all I need is the UM56 to complete it. I can't afford both phones, but the new pair of R3s I received to review may fit that role. Thanks.

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlandos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-9402415..._2061_18844529

Which on the picture are the (large) sillicones? I am a noob I know.. :')

Fourth (large) and fifth (medium) from the left. If you use these the trick is to not jam them into your ears too far....Just put them easily and at some point they will be making contact all around... that's as far as you should go. When I first tried them I was pushing them in way too far (as I was accustomed to doing with other iem's)... the sound was way too boomy and muddy. Just place them in and you'll get great sound and great comfort as well.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #44 of 48
Thank you all, I have just ordered the Westone 3's! I used the discount code JULY4 which gave me a nice 12% discount too!
biggrin.gif
I am really excited! Thank you again for your help and I will post my impressions here!

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #45 of 48
Quote:

Fourth (large) and fifth (medium) from the left. If you use these the trick is to not jam them into your ears too far....Just put them easily and at some point they will be making contact all around... that's as far as you should go. When I first tried them I was pushing them in way too far (as I was accustomed to doing with other iem's)... the sound was way too boomy and muddy. Just place them in and you'll get great sound and great comfort as well.

You convinced me the most by the way! Because I kinda dislike to have earphones very far into my ear, so these tips sound awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back