Westone 3 - Rolled off highs? or am I expecting too much of IEM's
Mar 3, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #46 of 82
To the OP: congratulations. You actually have hearing. =)

Westone 3 pretty much rolls off past 13 khz and that is the end of story. Various tips may accent the lower treble region, araound 8 khz while others (like triflanges) will soften it.

HD650 has full extension to 20 khz so it will always be better.

The other part of your first post: basically it is the case that IEM's have trouble providing treble extension. Customs tend to do fairly well, but not universals. You just have to leave with that essentially.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #47 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Westone 3 pretty much rolls off past 13 khz and that is the end of story. Various tips may accent the lower treble region, araound 8 khz while others (like triflanges) will soften it.

The other part of your first post: basically it is the case that IEM's have trouble providing treble extension. Customs tend to do fairly well, but not universals. You just have to leave with that essentially.

Do you know where we can get tone files in smaller increments than Binks Audio test CD which jumps from 12.5K to 16K to 20K, and no tones in between?

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #48 of 82
I am using IPOD Classic 120G accompanying with westone 3,and the sound is very wonderful to me.However,at most time,when at home,I will use Westone 3 with SONY RH1 HI-MD player,which conbination can make up to the defit of westone 3 in the high frequency.

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #51 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a reason why some of us perform the burn-in without listening to them during that period. To avoid this issue.

-Ed

I did this too and was perplexed. No genuine difference to hear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #52 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks a lot for these comments since the issue I'm having with the Westone's isn't minor. It's a gross issue that's nicely improved on with the EQ settings. I'd recommend these IEM's in a hearbeat, but I'll not say that it's wonderful across all spectra ... not after listening to my home rig and hearing how good the music I listen to can potentially sound without having to add an EQ setting.

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #53 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W3 really don't need any burn-in, just the brain for those (while finding the right tips and ear canal position).

Interesting. I'm not hearing a difference after unattended burn in periods.

I need to keep having faith in the hearing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #56 of 82
Quote:

Do you know where we can get tone files in smaller increments than Binks Audio test CD which jumps from 12.5K to 16K to 20K, and no tones in between?

I'd be interested in something like that also!!
I have that 'Test Tones' series of tones for the lower, bass frequencies- http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/t...s-goes-393491/- but one for the highs/high frequencies would be most appreciated also!

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #57 of 82
Quote:

Here are the files I use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainxin163 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After 300h of burn-in,the sound of westone 3 is improving very much wih my ipod classic,and I think the step of burn-in is necessory.

Whoa there, burn in for a BA? Not saying it isn't possible, as they have a diaphragm that could change with repeated movement. But this will throw most for a loop! And you will probably get a lot of "brain burn in" comments.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #58 of 82
Nice one Average_Joe! Be sure to give them a whirl some of my hp's in a bit
cool.gif

N.B.// Not sure what's goin on with the BA burn-in example above (not looking forward to havin to put my new W3 through that 300 Hr stint when I recieve em
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #59 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice one Average_Joe! Be sure to give them a whirl some of my hp's in a bit
cool.gif

N.B.// Not sure what's goin on with the BA burn-in example above (not looking forward to havin to put my new W3 through that 300 Hr stint when I recieve em
wink.gif

No prob, here to help
beerchug.gif

Larry could probably let us know his opinion if he experienced any changes with his W3s over time. From what I know they have a copper path and a moving diaphragm which could be susceptible to changes, but I don't know the materials. But when there are tip issues and people are focused on other things (such as sibilance), burn in could be missed IMO.

* Disclaimer: I am not saying there is or is not burn in for BAs.
wink_face.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #60 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No prob, here to help
beerchug.gif

Larry could probably let us know his opinion if he experienced any changes with his W3s over time. From what I know they have a copper path and a moving diaphragm which could be susceptible to changes, but I don't know the materials. But when there are tip issues and people are focused on other things (such as sibilance), burn in could be missed IMO.

* Disclaimer: I am not saying there is or is not burn in for BAs.
wink_face.gif

You make good preliminary arguements as to why burn-in could be a possibility with the W3 and/or BA design IEMs, actually. Served as a nice reminder of why I and/or one shouldn't form judgements/conclusions when significantly uninformed! Would be interesting to gain more insight on that (both in the materials and/or technology of BA design earphones and how this lends itself to the potential for physical burn-in effects on SQ and/or sound sig, and, focused personal listening exp of ppl with examples of these hp's over time/personal observations; the latter may be hard to come across though as most ppl wouldn't be expecting this from a BA earphone)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back