Westone 3 Review - Still one of the very best IEMs!
Jun 18, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #32 of 41
I am interested in the W3's or W4's. It looks like I am y be leaning towards the W3 however.

I was curious as to how changing the tips can alter the sibilance. Can you elaborate?

Thanks,
Ken

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:
I am interested in the W3's or W4's. It looks like I am y be leaning towards the W3 however.

I was curious as to how changing the tips can alter the sibilance. Can you elaborate?

Thanks,
Ken

I'm not sure its possible to really get rid of the sibilance.  The sibilance doesn't bother me as much as it does other people.  I wouldn't say that the W3 is "Mr Sibilant" haha... but its probably more sibilant that preferable.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #34 of 41
I think it leans towards siblant with all silicone tips and the midrange sounds slightly recessed.  With complys I get zero siblance and the whole presentation sounds balanced, rich and almost warm with midrange very present.  As much as I hate the dirtiness of using complys, it's the only tip that really sounds "right" to me with W3.

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #36 of 41
David,
I know your Westone3 review is a couple of years old now, could you offer any guidance comparing Westone3 to Westone2. I have had the 2's and liked them, the first IEM I have ever used. Sonically I thought they were similar sounding to the new apple earbuds shipped with the iphone5's. I returned them due to a hearing "medical" concern. I want to again obtain an IEM set either the 3's or the 2's, price is a consideration but their size is probably bigger consideration. I imagine 3's sound fuller, if I knew thee would fit comfortably into my ears I would probably go with the 3's. Anyway if you can give any comparison info I would be appreciative
Thanks,
Steve

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #37 of 41
Well I'm not the david you mention but I have had the 2 and the 3's so maybe I can help.  Size wise you are about right.  I found the 2's much easier to slip in than the 3's, that said I had no problems with the 3's once I got used to the slightly bigger size.  My favourite tips were the comply ts model (can't remember the exact one a google will turn it up) which really helped.  Sound wise there's a fair bit more bass than the 2's which will either be a shock or welcome.  I always wanted a sort of Westone 2+ as it were without going the whole way to the 3.  I listen to rock and metal out of a clip plus.  The nozzle length is about the same so if fit concerns were an issue on the 2 it won't be much different on the 3.

Hope that helps.

Oh and welcome to Headfi, sorry about your wallet!

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:
David,
I know your Westone3 review is a couple of years old now, could you offer any guidance comparing Westone3 to Westone2. I have had the 2's and liked them, the first IEM I have ever used. Sonically I thought they were similar sounding to the new apple earbuds shipped with the iphone5's. I returned them due to a hearing "medical" concern. I want to again obtain an IEM set either the 3's or the 2's, price is a consideration but their size is probably bigger consideration. I imagine 3's sound fuller, if I knew thee would fit comfortably into my ears I would probably go with the 3's. Anyway if you can give any comparison info I would be appreciative
Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I used the UM2, but not the Westone 2 so I can't give a definitive answer on how they compare.  I thought the Westone 3 was detailed and a fuller midrange, but its beeen years since I've done a comparison so I can't be sure on every aspect of sound.

I wish I could be of more help on this!:)

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #39 of 41
Thanks for the reply.. Well said about the base being wanted or not! I have just started using Audio Technica ATH-M50 and while maybe not known for a strong base it was a surprise to hear all that base. Not a complaint just an observation. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #40 of 41
Thank you for your reply. I suppose one just has to jump in somewhere! W2's for me, price at B&H or Amazon hard to ignore. A lighter base is actually preferred by me, I would want vocals, mostly female, to be most accurate.
Thanks, Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back