Westone 3 Replacements.. Westone W30 vs Sennheiser IE80 for Gym earphones ?
May 18, 2015 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
So my Westone 3 finally died after more than 4 years..i wont complain about durability as I used them at gym a lot ..so all that sweat, tugging, finally got cable connection to wear off.

Westone is offering me W30 at a discounted price as a gesture of loyalty but I am intrigued by IE80 also.

Is there anything IE80 does better than W30? 

Looking for opinions on following topics:

1. Microphonics....i want minimum sound transferred through cabling...as i move around a lot in the gym,
2. Vocals ...i enjoyed W3 vocals but I didnt like sibilance..so less sibilance is preferred without sacrificing forward vocals.
3. Fatigue ...i still like V-shape fun sound but I want non-fatiguing bass hump.
4. Fit....low profile, should not have shallow fit..as i run at high speeds and most earphones fall out...i only use those grey silicon tips as they are quick and foam tips get too waxy for me.

5. Sound.....i listen to rock music (Nine inch nails, pink floyd, nirvana, iron maiden, gary clark jr) and lot of EDM (Protoculture, Above & Beyond)...

sound isolation is important but not critical as for office and flights i use Bose QC25

I will be using these IEMs as main reference equipment also as I sold off my Sennheiser HD600 as I travel a lot and no time for non-portable equipment.

May 19, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 8
If you do have chance, try the easonic sm64v2
biggrin.gif
. They're quite awesome at its price
smily_headphones1.gif

price is not an issue..but i wanted something flagship

May 22, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 8
As far as vocals, W30 destroys W3 by a mile.  Ergonomics and cable are among best in industry.  W30 is sensational in it's price point and will have much better treble than IE80.

May 24, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 8
  As far as vocals, W30 destroys W3 by a mile.  Ergonomics and cable are among best in industry.  W30 is sensational in it's price point and will have much better treble than IE80.

thanks.

i did read a lot and finally ended up ordering W30.

i hope the bass is detailed but not thumpy and exhausting on ears.

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #8 of 8
Nocturnal310:

Sorry to weigh into this so late, but I faced the same delimma, but my failure was on the W3 Gold. It was by far my favorite item, so when it failed I was disappointed that they could not repair it since it did not have removable cables. They gave me the option of purchasing a W30 at a discount. However they way I looked at it was not what could I get for the full price, but what competes with it for the discounted price. When I looked at it that way, it became a no brainier.

When I first tried the W30 I was on the fence, but once I got through the burn in period it really settled down for me. I find it very enjoyable but I too would eventually like to get the IE8. I would also agree with Spyro on the cable and the ergonomics. You can wear the W30 over ear and cable them in front, which is hard to do with my UM3X and my old W3 Gold.

Overall a wonderful upgrade and great customer service by Westone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back