Westone 3 re-shell + upgrade by Unique Melody
Jul 14, 2013 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DenonFnatic

Head-Fier
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you own or have tried the W3x4/6/8 variants by UM, I'm currently in the market for a custom and was wondering if it was worth my time to get a W3 re-shelled and upgraded. I'm quite sensitive to sibilance and find the W3's unbearable unless I'm using the comply tips. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Kind Regards,
James

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi, I think my answer is too late, but I had the w3x4 and I can say that personally, I did not enjoy them at all. The w3's beautiful V-shape for that energetic punch disappeared and became more neutral towards a w4, however still with a fairly bright sound. Less bass and less treble sparkle. Although the mids on the w3x4 have definitely improved in clarity. I think if you go with quads (w3x4), the w3's sound signature is lost. I think that if you like the w3 sound, just get them re-shelled and make them look beautiful but keeping the original sound signature. I am sure the extra isolation will improve sound quality by a bit since customs will create the perfect seal and fit. I have not heard the w3x6 or x8, so I can't give you much information on that, sorry.

However if you are considering on getting w3x6 or higher, then I would recommend to get the UM Merlins instead, if you can afford them. If you like the deep bass, then the Merlins are the best pick. I honestly don't think it is worth it to get any upgrade on the w3.

My w3 has been tamed. I am curious to know what you had decided to do!

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 3
Hey,

Haha yeah, I actually sold my W3's and a few others to fund for the Heir 4.ai. Not sure why but I'm in the mood for a more neutral sounding IEM as my universals, planning to go for a bassier and "fun" custom in the future to complement. Thanks for the input and help! Appreciate it.

Cheers,
James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back