Westone 3 Problems!
Dec 5, 2008 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
I got my Westone 3s yesterday and I love the sound in certain aspects. But the first thing I notice that when you using an iPod as my source and listening to a heavy piano song (Imagine by Lennon for instance) there is some serious clipping issues at fairly listenable volume levels. Is my pair defective or does anyone else notice this? What is this being caused by?

Also, I found it incredibly hard to get a seal with any of the tips which came with it and had to result to my Shure Olive foams, even those didn't give the best seal, not comparable to my SE530s.

Anyone else having this problems?

Can anyone take a photo for me of how the earphones are resting in their ear, maybe I'm not wearing them right.

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 21
I'm gonna guess:

1.) Defective driver

2.) You have the iPod's EQ on

3.) The song is just like that

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 21
Wilfredo says, scrap the IPOD, and get a Cowon

Wilfredo knows music and loves to Dance to Trance

Feed Wilfredo Trance
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #9 of 21
Are you able to try them with another source other than the iPod?

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nah the driver is not defective........its clipping on both sides equal.

no EQ is on

The file is ALAC

Amp or no amp? I detected some interesting behaviors my mp3 player was doing in order to avoid clipping when I was using the volume attenuator to control things and used the phone on max volume. When I let the player drive W3 directly issues went away (and I can break down my listening without causing any distortion or clipping now).

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amp or no amp? I detected some interesting behaviors my mp3 player was doing in order to avoid clipping when I was using the volume attenuator to control things and used the phone on max volume. When I let the player drive W3 directly issues went away (and I can break down my listening without causing any distortion or clipping now).

not sure I understand the post

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #12 of 21
Guys, I am guessing he does not get the clipping with his SE530s (or we'd have heard about that by now), which are quite sensitive and would reveal any source problems. So, it looks more likely the problem is with his particular pair of Westone 3s.

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #13 of 21
The Raiders have been guilty of Clipping Penalty's tonight...

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #14 of 21
Sounds like you have a defective pair. I would contact Westone and see what you can do about that. I've never heard of a decent headphone (and considering the W3's price, it should be better than decent) exhibiting such behavior unless it was defective.

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not sure I understand the post

Clipping can be induced by adverse behavior of your player on particular track. It may have not been picked up by other equipment - which for whatever reason just is not sensitive enough in particular region. Clipping artifacts for example tend to be treble-based, which Shure E500 is not strong in.

On the case of amplification - if your mp3 player is on max volume driving an amplifier, it may not have enough headroom. Some equipment accounts for that by softening, other equipment just goes into good old distortion. Yours may be the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back