Westone 3 or UM3X for classical?
Sep 22, 2009 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

vic225

Head-Fier
What would you guys suggest? I mainly listen to classical then some jazz, and a bit of rock/band stuff.
I'm currently using the UE Superfi3 and I like the clear defined sound of BAs.. so I'm looking into these westones to upgrade.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 24
Idk... Jazz may sound better with W3's stronger bass but certainly for discerning ears the UM3X would be better for classical. Jazz sounds quite alright with the UM3X which I like to think as quite versatile. Also, I find any sort of strong bass a detriment to listening to rock. I like my rock more polite.

Really, there's not TOO much difference and both will be a HUGE step up from the superfi 3.

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Idk... Jazz may sound better with W3's stronger bass but certainly for discerning ears the UM3X would be better for classical. Jazz sounds quite alright with the UM3X which I like to think as quite versatile. Also, I find any sort of strong bass a detriment to listening to rock. I like my rock more polite.

Really, there's not TOO much difference and both will be a HUGE step up from the superfi 3.

Actually W3 and UM3X sound very different from each other. While I was auditioning both of them, W3 has richer (or exaggerated?) mid-range and more bass and wider sound-stage while UM3X has a tighter bass and sounds neutral with a narrow sound-stage (I later found out it is actually heavily source-dependent). Instrument separation wise, UM3X is better.

Both really sound very different to my ears. As I auditioned the UM3X first, I actually found W3 to be muddy. TF10 pro has excellent treble, far superior sound stage but the mids are not as clear as UM3X. Moreover, I was having fit-issues.

Lastly, price wise.. the UM3X costs SGD$529 as compared to W3 which costs $559 and TF10 pro (SGD$629). Its a pretty straight-forward decision for me to choose UM3X over the other two.
wink_face.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 24
I don't know about W3s, but to me, UM3X's imaging and separation are excellent, especially with good recordings/source. I listened to many genres, and the UM3Xs are very versatile with very good mid, which I think it suit classical music very well, IMHO.

Thank you.

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 24
UM3X for sure. Better midrange for horns.

Unless you are using custom U56 tips, I found W3 to have a very recessed midrange. I actually preferred vocals with my UM2 over W3 when I had them at the same time.

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 24
UM3X is definitely better in the midrange IMO. Westone 3 mids are a bit too recessed. Detail in the midrange may be similar, but it's certainly much easier to hear it with the UM3X because their mids are nice and upfront. I also feel that, at least when using universal tips, UM3X has a tighter, more neutral and more controlled low end. As for treble, Westone 3 has excellent treble quality, but its highs are a bit overemphasized IMO. UM3X is actually the exact opposite - it's treble is a bit recessed (although pretty detailed). Neither has particularly great extension I think and start to roll off well before 16 Khz. But that may be because of the fit issues I have with universal fit IEMs. Soundstage seems to be bigger on Westone 3, but that's because Westone 3 has overblown upper bass which gives an illusion of a bigger sound IMO. Separation is better with UM3X.

Overall, as a universal IEM, I prefer UM3X over Westone 3 for almost any type of music because it just sound more balanced to my ears. With custom sleeves, it's hard to say which one will be better, but I think UM3X will still be more balanced.

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM3X for sure. Better midrange for horns.

Unless you are using custom U56 tips, I found W3 to have a very recessed midrange. I actually preferred vocals with my UM2 over W3 when I had them at the same time.

Me too.

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #13 of 24
I've found that the neutral balance of the UM3X is better for classical. The mid bass bump of the W3 sometimes makes the basses and double basses jump out of a classical mix into your lap which can be disconcerting. With that said, the Triple.Fi 10 gives a balanced representation of the music and adds a good sound stage to go with it. If you won't be exercising with the IEMs, I recommend the Triple.Fi 10s. If you plan to exercise with them, go with the UM3Xs which have unbeatable microphonics and a better fit than the Triple.Fi 10s.

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 24
Agree with the posts above. The UM3X is wonderful for classical and jazz. (I did not enjoy the W3's as much).
They are non fatiguing and I did listen for hours without any discomfort. No hiss in spite the clear highs; neutral mids and deep but clear non overwhelming bass.
For the price, The UM3X sound and comfort are excellent, although of course, not everybody may agree.

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If Mainly classical, then why not Etymotic ER4?

I tried some westones the other day... I love the feeling of wearing nothing when wearing them, that's why I crossed 10pro out of the list....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back