Westone 3 - midbass hump?
Apr 8, 2009 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kloan

1000+ Head-Fier
What does this mean? I've seen people reference to it but I couldn't actually find out what it means exactly... does it mean the midbass is prominent?

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 17
It basically means, that around the part of the frequency spectrum where the upper reaches of the bass rwch the lower reaches of the mids, that there is a significant boost in volume of sound reproduction here, comparatively to the neighbouring frequency regions of the spectrum, causing this part of the frequency spectrum to stand out and strike the listener with notable prominence. I personally havn't encountered such yet, certainly to a level that bothers me/detracts from the listening experience.

EDIT: It actually might mean the middle bass frequencies, as opposed to where the bass meets the mids. The concept of a 'hump' is the same, however.

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 17
I see, thank you for the explanation.

Considering I'm the kind of person who prefers sub-bass over mid-bass, I wonder if it would bother me.

I have the money to buy IE8, Triple.Fi and Westone 3 all at the same time.. but I'd lose too much when I end up selling two of them.

This is a hard decision.

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 17
Cool, glad to help!

With regards as to what to choose out of those 3 top-end universal IEMs, theres obviously a lot of factors to consider- that I'm sure you are!- in selecting one of the other, if you can't afford to get all 3 to listen to and side-test for yourself (obviously, the definitive way to decide if possible). Aside from SQ and sonic character, I mean, that may help you discrimate before getting to what sound you're after. Is sound isolation important to you? If so and although decent-quality isolation is reportedly possible with them with mods and/or some more dedicated tip/fit experimentation, the IE8 might be one to rule out as, for most, certainly with the supplied tips, isolation is low-adequate with this IEM. The TF10 can be difficult and/or uncomfortable to fit for quite a few ppl- are your ear canals small? This tends to be the connection to poor and/or uncomforatble fit with this IEM as the bore/nozzle diameter is broad. Just some thoughts...

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #5 of 17
Maybe you should wait for the Westone UM3X that just got announced today.
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you should wait for the Westone UM3X that just got announced today.
wink.gif

Another option to consider...
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #8 of 17
Lol. Rolled-off highs is where the highs, past a certain point of extension, are reproduced at a comparatively low volume, that, as extension along the frequency spectrum increases, continues to grow/drop quieter; the rate of volume drop past a certain point is quite steep, hence the term 'rolled-off' as this the impression you get. This does not necessarily mean the extension is not present in the highs, however, and is only really referring to the volume, or lack of it, rather, at which these frequencies are progressively conveyed.

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #9 of 17
haha. i would say wait for the um3x. i'm also waiting for it!!

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #10 of 17
I must admit that when on the move fit, comfort, isolation, and microphonics are all top concerns, NOT sound quality.

You simply will not be able to hear nuance when out and about in distracting environments. And if the environment IS controlled and quiet I would beg to ask why you are using an IEM and not a proper headphone.

Out of all the IEMs I've tried the Westone UM2s and the Shure E530s have been the best for portable use. I'm not saying that they sound awesome, they simply have a high enough SQ whilst ticking the other boxes.

In fact even htough the 530 has better raw performance than the UM2, the UM2 is far more fun and enjoyable, especially with classical music. The bass of the UM2s really makes classical music life-like.

Either way, I agree with striking out the IE8 and triple fi.
You could look for one of the cheaper customs out there.
But UM3X with UM56 custom (or not) or W3 with UM56 seems the best way to go, as well as SE530+UM56.

Sure, it's not going to be AS great as a pure custom, but it will be damn good and much cheaper.

I know I come off as a westone fan-boy but really they are by far the most comfortable - at least for my ears - and that is crucial. Because the more comfortable and the better the fit, the better the SQ full stop.

you could have the best SQ IEM but without a proper seal and fit it WILL sound like poo.

I believe the UM2 has some sort of frequency response curve for stage monitoring - I've honestly never noticed it with the music I listen to. In fact it just sounds more timbrally accurate rather than tinny.

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #11 of 17
I did own the Shure Se530 and found the rolled of highs distracting. While the rest of the spectrum was quite enjoyable, I found myself constantly yearning for just a bit more treble.

I had the Super.fi EB for a short while and didn't have any problems with fit. I assume the Triple.Fi are similar in fit?

I have the Klipsch Image X10 right now, and I honestly thought they'd be the ones from eveythin I read, until I listened to them and quickly realized they're not for me. I find them bright and unengaging. They are very picky and source dependant.

It's true I really won't know for sure unless I can compare all of them, but the $ hit I would take with reselling them isn't something I want to deal with.

Aren't the UM3X customs?

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Considering I'm the kind of person who prefers sub-bass over mid-bass, I wonder if it would bother me.

I have the money to buy IE8, Triple.Fi and Westone 3 all at the same time.. but I'd lose too much when I end up selling two of them.

This is a hard decision.

woah.

futuresonics or UE customs? those have lots of bass i heard.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

This is a hard decision.

I preferred Triple.fi for this. Bass is very deep.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Maybe not. I had all 3 and didn't lose anything when I sold them.

As for me I kept the W3....it was hands down my favorite in terms of fit, isolation and to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back