Westone 3: Is ANY amplification needed?
Dec 19, 2008 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

AndrewF

100+ Head-Fier
I tried an interesting experiment this morning. I took a simple line out dock with a miniplug input (the kind I use in my car to attach to the AUX input with a simple miniplug to miniplug cable) and attached the W3, attached to the volume attenuator. Then I spent a while A/B'ing that compared to the amplified output (Nano 2G and Nano 3G). Test track was Massive Attack, Teardrop (one of the best test tracks I know- huge bass and astounding highs, perfectly recorded). Ripped as 320AAC. I tried very hard to correct for volume differences, going back and forth until the output seemed identical in volume.

To be honest, it was pretty hard to tell too much in the way of differences. If I pushed hard, I thought there was a little bit more "air" using only the line out dock, with no amplification at all, and perhaps a tiny bit more substance to the bass, using the 2G and 3G internal amplifiers. It was actually quite loud using only the line out- I had to turn it down a bit with the volume attenuator to achieve "loud but listenable" volume levels.

Has anyone else tried this, or better yet, tried A/B'ing a non-amplified line out to a line out to amplifier set up? Is there any reason at all to use any amplification at all, if your IEM's are sensitive enough to give you decent volume without it?

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 30
I've read that thread. It's addressing a slightly different question- internal amp vs external amp. My question is basically- is there any point in using any amplification with these IEM's (or any other, actually), if you get loud enough volume with no amplification. In other words, does the Emperor (all of these amps) have any clothes at all?

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read that thread. It's addressing a slightly different question- internal amp vs external amp. My question is basically- is there any point in using any amplification with these IEM's (or any other, actually), if you get loud enough volume with no amplification. In other words, does the Emperor (all of these amps) have any clothes at all?

I recently read a thread which raises such questions about the wisdom of purchasing high-end portable audio equipment. It was an interesting read. I have spent quite a bit of money on my portable rig. More money than some and less than others. Personally, I feel that it has been money well spent. I love music and most of my listening to music is on-the-run. There is not the slightest doubt in my mind that I am happy with my iPod Nano, Pico, ALO LOD, and Westone 3's. The audio quality and my listening experience have improved steadily as I have worked my way to this portable audio configuration. I believe that portable amplification makes a huge difference. Others will undoubtedly dispute this, so I guess, as in most things, to each his own...

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

have you ever tried your sources straight out of the lineout, without amplification? seriously, i'm curious.

Yes, of course I have. I didn't start with this head-fi "addiction" for years after I discovered portable audio. I didn't discover portable amps until I was on my third iPod. I continue to mix and match and compare the sonic value of each piece of equipment that I purchase. With my newest purchase, the Westone 3's, I have listened out of the headphone jack, and lineout with different amps etc. I carry IEMs with me (without the amp) and listen to music with my iPhone all the time. Not only does amplification make a difference, but different the various amps are distinctly different. I honestly think that my Pico is the best portable amp that I will ever need. Don't quote me on that!
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 30
Yes. It varies of course from track to track, depending on the recording volume, but on most things I tried it was plenty loud, loud enough that I had to turn it down with the volume attenuator. You should give it a try- it's pretty cool, actually. I need to try it with my UM2's. I sold my SE530's so I can't try it on those.

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, of course I have. I didn't start with this head-fi "addiction" for years after I discovered portable audio. I didn't discover portable amps until I was on my third iPod. I continue to mix and match and compare the sonic value of each piece of equipment that I purchase. With my newest purchase, the Westone 3's, I have listened out of the headphone jack, and lineout with different amps etc. I carry a line-out adaptor and IEMs with me (without the amp) and listen to music with my iPhone all the time. Not only does amplification make a difference, but different the various amps are distinctly different. I honestly think that my Pico is the best portable amp that I will ever need. Don't quote me on that!
biggrin.gif

Can you give us your own impressions on the sound straight from the lineout, without amplification, compared to one or more of your favorite amplifiers? What to you is the biggest benefit of amplification (trying to correct for increased volume, of course)?

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Can you give us your own impressions on the sound straight from the lineout, without amplification, compared to one or more of your favorite amplifiers? What to you is the biggest benefit of amplification (trying to correct for increased volume, of course)?

It took me awhile but I'm with you now. I have listened to "lineout only" on several occasions, but it is not something I have done over long periods of time. I don't do it anymore because I see no reason to do it. I would say that the biggest difference that results from amplification is soundstage. There's more space between the instruments. There's also a distinct improvement in virtually every other musical aspect. The bass seems deeper. The highs seem cleaner.

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4agze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wuwhere, line out has fixed voltage thus it needs the volume control inbetween.

I know, that's what I said. Perhaps a Holco stepped attenuator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back