westone 3...early 2009!!
Jun 3, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #31 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny thing is though...Shure or UE may have yet another new product of their own introduced by then.

That's the element that seems the most significant. I don't tend to follow headphone development all that much (c.f. my puzzlement at people getting so worked up about the delays), but I've followed DAP news and rumors for the past four years and this sort of miscalculation has killed more than one company in the market.

It seems obvious that, at the least, UE could bring out a quad driver universal ready for market with next to no development time if they wanted. If that becomes the next buzz product, then no new triple driver, unless it's widely reviewed as sounding as good or better at less money is going to make a dent since all the people willing to "settle" for triple drivers will have a plentitude of used triple.fis and se530s to choose from. Regardless of that, it's going to have a huge hurdle to deal with in the form of pricing. Generally, when a product like this comes out it will command a premium price and then drop to a more comfortable level. With Shure and UE already having had more than enough time to fine tune manufacturing, they are easily in a position to make sure that Westone will be undercut from the word, "go".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back