Westone 3 Cowon S9 Sansa Clip+ need Upgrade?
Jan 22, 2010 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

musicday

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,
At the moment i have this setup.
Cowon S9 16 GB,Sansa Clip+ 8 GB and i listen to FLAC most of the time,trough my Westone 3.
For better soundstage do i need new DAP( Teclast T51,Cowon D2+) or headphone amplifier(P51 Mustang,Ibasso D10).I am not looking for the perfect sound,wich may come from Hifiman 801
happy_face1.gif
,but i want to have a better sound then i have now.
So Teclast T51 will sound better with W3 then S9+P51 Mustang?
Many thanks,Levi

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 12
IMO I would say to get an amp. Yes different DAPs have different sounds and varying soundstages and whatnot but I think you would get more of an improvement with a really good amp.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 12
You mean that if i get an amp i will with the setup i have S9/Clip+/W3 the sound will impove as well as soundstage?
Wich of those is better if money not a problem:
RSA P51 Mustang
RSA Predator
Ibasso D10
Graham Slee the Voyager
For the moment i am very happy with my W3,so if i will upgrade will be only the AMP,and maybe later a iRivr IHP 120 or D2 for memory card
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #5 of 12
What I have is the clip+ and S;Flo2. Basically,.. I can tell you that the clip+ with ibasso T3 is about the same as the T51. However, if you get T51 and a really good amp then you should be very happy.

I dunno,.. maybe try selling the S9?? I find that the Clip is really great for working out and doing out-door activities. The T51 would be great for plane rides and many many other situations where you can sit, put on your W3 and close your eyes and get into the zone with your music.

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 12
Thank you for the info,but i am happy with my S9,wish that the new J3 will come at least with 16 gb flash+misco sd(Samsung released a 32 gb microsd wich will go into mass product soon).I enjoy my Clip+ too,but how does the Clip+ sound with P51?Or Cowon D2+ with P51?I am really interested to get that RSA P51 anytime soon.I would prefer D2/S9 becouse of the memory slot,like any other here right?
Any compare with Clip+/S9,D2+ P51 will be much apreciated.
thanks

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 12
I thought I read on anythingbutipod that the Sansa players (Fuze & Clip+) do better with lower ohm headphones. So, if you don't get an amp, you may look at the Sennheiser IE8 (16 Ohm) to match with you Clip+. I'm not sure about the impedance on the S9.

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 12
I didn't notice a single difference when using my Westone 3's on my S9 amped by an iBasso D2 and unamped. It's not worth it to amp a 1/8" out for IEM's in my opinion. Get some UM56's. They're great.

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by haveblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't notice a single difference when using my Westone 3's on my S9 amped by an iBasso D2 and unamped. It's not worth it to amp a 1/8" out for IEM's in my opinion. Get some UM56's. They're great.

Does W3 sound better with Clip+/Fuze/S9 the those with IE8?I really want to know if Teclast T51 is that better with W3 compared with S9 no amp.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 12
closest thing i have heard to what I consider "synergy" is My Clip+ playing lossles FLAC through a High-perf mini3 and westone UMX3's ( the UMX are quite similar to the 3's i've read )

I like it so much that I've started building my own version on the mini3 that is just a bit larger than the clip+ to make it ultra portable.

I also have a sony X1061 and a touch 2G ( touch is semi-OK with a LOD..) and I still like the clip>mini3 combo the best.
I had a P-51mustang, but it was no where near as powerfull as the mini3, and I really could not tell a diff with or without it on the clip......didnt seem to add or take away anything. the P-51 was a bit more quiet, absolutelly quiet in fact, but thats splitting hairs. However, once I got the UMX3's, the P-51 really woke up the ipod LOD, made it quite good in fact.

Anyway, as your rig is quite similar to mine, I would sugest a mini3 (HP vertion), they are on the cheeper end of amps.
Joe

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 12
I have found that the sound of Rockboxed Fuze pair with W3 is so much better then Clip+,H320 or Cowon S9.I have them all ,but i like so much Fuze+W3.I just wished in will get a better battery life on it.I get only 10+hours..
Can i replace the battery with a bigger capacity one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back