Westone 3 compare to K701 or HD600
Dec 4, 2008 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wititw

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm looking into moving to IEM world. I have K710 and HD600 for home use. The Westone 3 seems to be a very hot choice at the moment. How does it compare to the full size can? I understand it is not a fair comparison but I just want to get some ideas.

My IEM experience is very limited. I had Shure E4c in the past but I was not too happy about it. Will the Westone 3 be a huge upgrade from the E4c? Can it perform close to the K701?

I do not mean to open up unnecessary thread. I tried to search but couldn't find direct answers.

Any comment is appreciated. Thanks very much.

Dec 4, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 5
I can promise you the westone 3 is a great improvement over the e4c's but I dunno about the big cans I have not heard them but in terms of iem's triple fi 10's and the westone 3's are both great options

Dec 5, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #3 of 5
It's rather similar in sound signature to the HD650, actually, when the HD650 is not driven especially well. Basically, it's warm, laid-back, has a fuzzy and rounded sound, large soundstage, somewhat rolled-off highs, and good though not brilliant detail.

The HD600 will have a much more neutral midrange tone. The W3 has a really, really warm midrange.

The K701 will be a lot colder overall, but I'm not a fan of the K701 at all so I'm not the best qualified to comment.

I'd say that the HD600 should be convincingly better, but of course this will depend on the rest of your system. The W3 is a very good IEM IMO, better than the UM2 or E500/SE530. I haven't heard the triple-fi.

It will be a very big upgrade from the E4c. I didn't like the E4 much - I thought its highs were too harsh, and it was too thin. The W3 is fuller, warmer, has equal detail, and is much more refined.

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 5
nah..u cannot compare Westone 3 to HD600 .. i have the latter and i quick auditioned a W3.. the sound signature is different,..there was some kind of coloration in the midrange if u compared it to HD600.

highs were definitely a big jump from the UM2.

but among the all IEMs i have tried yet..i really loved Westone 3.

now waiting to audition IE7 & IE8 by sennheiser.

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say that the HD600 should be convincingly better, but of course this will depend on the rest of your system.

Not really, HD600 was overall a better performer out of Trekstor Vibez than Westone 3 is out of my laptop, and my laptop outperforms the Vibez by a long shot. =). Westone 3 does beat HD600 in the low bass response department though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back