Westone 3 - bigger than the UM2, but by how much?
Dec 9, 2008 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jim Barry

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my UM2s for a couple of years and I'm intending to upgrade to the W3. But I'm concerned that the W3 seems to be somewhat larger than the UM2. The UM2 already fills my concha completely and I'm worried that the back of the W3 might press uncomfortably against my ear. I found this close-up of the UM2 and W3 together:

um1um23qw2.jpg

It seems that although the W3 is bigger overall than the UM2, the distance from the back edge to the nozzle is not so different. I'd be grateful if those who upgraded from UM2 to W3 could give an opinion on this issue.

Thanks!

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 10
By the way, that picture is from a post way back in February 2007. It looks the same as the production units to me but I suppose it's possible it could be slightly different...

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 10
I have tried the UM2 and Westone 3 and both are comfortable to wear. The W3s body is slightly bigger which puts a bit of pressure on the ear but its not a big deal. The UM2s feel more snug though.

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 10
They're pretty much identical in size, and very similar in fit. If you're fine with the UM2 you should be good to go with the W3. Just order from a store with a return policy, though I doubt you'll need it.

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks guys... well, I was hoping for a few more replies but I think I'm going to have to go for it. When I see people complaining about recessed mids, I know that these are the IEMs for me!
beyersmile.png
I just wish the W3 had come out a few months ago when the exchange rate was so much more favourable.

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by prscustom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
w3 needs a longer tube

X1,000,000...Definitely!

I wish Powderhound could jump in and explain what the thought process was there.

UM's are rounder and W3's are flatter. Over size I would think is same.

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 10
My first pair of IEMs were UM2's and I absolutely loved them. I drove them with a 'Tomahawk' and it was perfection. I am of the opinion that as long as the tube is directed towards your inner ear, and is sealed, the length shouldn't matter. I mean we are pumping sound from 3 independent drivers directly into our sensitive inner ear's. It just seems like a minor scoff to me. I'll soon find out though, my 3's should arrive sometime this week. Excited I am!

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by WaxMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first pair of IEMs were UM2's and I absolutely loved them. I drove them with a 'Tomahawk' and it was perfection. I am of the opinion that as long as the tube is directed towards your inner ear, and is sealed, the length shouldn't matter. I mean we are pumping sound from 3 independent drivers directly into our sensitive inner ear's. It just seems like a minor scoff to me. I'll soon find out though, my 3's should arrive sometime this week. Excited I am!

Not sure i could agree with that. Just take a look at a stock tri flange with full length stem. From bottom of stem to tip is about a full inch versus barely a quarter inch length nozzle on W3. For optimum sound I think the distance from the end of the nozzle to the tip opening should be minimal...maybe 1/8".

Dec 13, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 10
OK, so my W3s arrived this morning. Catscratch was right, the size difference is minimal and it isn't causing me any problems so far. However, I have to agree with prscustom and Spyro that the tube is definitely too short. Not only that, but the tube needs to have a collar like the UM2 does to keep the tip from being so close to the body of the earpiece. I have been using the slim Comply tips with the UM2 with great success, but with the W3 they don't quite go far enough in to make a proper seal. I have to go up to the full size Comply tips, but they're just that bit too big and hurt my ears after a while
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back