Westone 3 are soooo overated
Jan 22, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #47 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sibilance normally comes from the source in my experience, especially the original recording~

X1 TIP SELECTION IS REALLY IMPORTANT~

While I agree that source is very important in my case I predominately use my Pico DAC which is highly regarded. I've had a few decent sources in my time and can attest to the fact that the Pico's DAC is no slouch. Here is something I recently wrote in another Westone 3 thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sibilance is a natural part of vocals so yes, headphones should display an amount of it but it should sound natural not excessive, overpowering everything else, hurting your ears or making you cringe every time a passage comes along that has an amount of it.

Some recordings are more prone to display it either by the way it's recorded, the singers style or a combination of both. There are even recording tricks called de-essers (sp?) used to soften the emphasis on s's an t's.

I've always maintained there are two types of excessive sibilance that I hear from playback devices, the first is due to a spike in the frequency range where sibilance occurs, this causes sibilance to stand out as louder and more aggressive, or "hot". The second is due to the quality of the treble where the sibilance becomes almost smeared, not necessarily louder just more emphasis due to smearing.

For some, myself included, the excessive sibilance (note I say excessive sibilance to describe it) seems to be of the "hot" variety but can be brought back in line with various types of tips which seem to be of the longer variety.

I've owned or had extensive auditions of just about every high-end universal IEM in my system and can safely say the Westone 3's depending on tip selection could have the worst excessive sibilance of any of the others. But, the long Comply's nearly solved it for me and modded tri-flanges totally solved it. So based on my experience I have a hard time laying the blame of the excessive sibilance with the 3's at the feet of the source.

I think what's become obvious from all the discussion is whether the sibilance effect the user is a bit of a crap shoot. From what I can discern it's not just the IEM's themselves but the makeup of the users ear that's going to determine whether they have an issue with it or not.

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #48 of 49
Guess I misunderstoood. Got it. I guess the reason I bought them in the first place was I was able to "get lucky" and use Cashback and the added coupon. Otherwise, I would not have spent $399. But that's just me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was my point, I didn't say you took the risk to buy from ebay, My Point was Any Authorized Dealer sell W3 at 399, your discount coupon can be applied universally, not only with W3~you were lucky.

and Cashback is gone, Ebay coupon is gone, Now try find me a W3 from an authorized Dealer below 399? No coupon no discount, does it mean no one will purchase W3? of course NO.

Many of us think W3 worth every single penny, there are over 10,000 Westone 3s sold since it came out~ did those 10000 items all sold by Mike?

I used MS cashback purchased many many expensive items on Ebay, got around $1600 cash back now...but I considered myself lucky, I understand what I paid is not the fair market price~

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #49 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't jinx me (no pun intended)!

oh wow look another thread comes up where yet again the westone 3 is bashed, oh dear an what a suprise its the same old people defending the great reputation that isnt...

i aint saying nothing but this is just another thread where the westone 3 is unsatisfactory to the user, dont aim your stupid comments at me please. i have not posted on here in about 7 days because im just waiting for this crap to blow over to be honest, its all westone 3 praising and bashing and its making the forum simply go down hill, im close to even saying its boring and pointless. why cant head fi be how it was before the ''3'' came onto the scene. every 4 or 5 threads is another ''i love westone 3'' or ''i hate westone 3'' thread and its boring now, especially seeing the same people saying the same things either defending or slagging the westone 3.

to the OP no the westone 3 isnt overrated, i have not listened to it and maybe will not for a few months but even i know its not underrated. its a stupid thread, with the same old opinions, lets get this shut down and lets start talking about other equipment in the headphone world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back