Westone 3 and Klipsch X10
Dec 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

h8uthemost

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me if the Westone 3's are going to be a huge step up over the X10's? I love the X10's(probably my favorite of the iem's that i own). They have great clarity, build, and overall sound, but I've been itching to try out a pair of Westone's, and the 3's are currently at a decent price.

Just a little info, I'll be using them mainly for portable use(bouncing around between my Android phone, Sansa Clip+, and Cowon D2+, all unamped, all music files are Ogg Vorbis converted from FLAC), and i mainly listen to jazz(the most), blues, and Reggae.

I'm mainly looking for clarity and isolation.

So... From people that own both IEM's, is the upgrade over the X10's gonna be worth spending the money?

Thanks for any info. Will be much appreciated.

P. S. Are the cables on the 3's detachable? Can't really find info about that.

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 5
Rather than an upgrade (which I will consider W3 over x10) it's more going to be different signature. Westone 3 are going to sound a touch darker or veiled in the mid range, there will be a notably bigger emphasis in mid bass and the mid range will be forward. I'll consider it an upgrade and at the price W3 being moved out the door the value is rather acceptable. They're not going to scream clarity but going from memory shoukld emit more than x10. You should also notice a much larger headstage, vocals and n instruments image themselves rather large on Westone 3.

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 5
Ok that sounds pretty good. Everyone's ears and expectations are different, so i guess I'll just give them a try and see if i dig them enough over the X10's to keep them.

I saw the W4R's for $299, but they were sold out by the time i got to them. Too bad, I would have gotten those.

Thanks for the help Fidelity.

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm interested in the sound of the W3 vs the X10's as well. In terms of bass muddiness and leak into the mids which has better control the W3 or the X10? How about the amount of the bass overall?

Also, in terms of isolation and comfort, which would be good for wearing 5+ hours straight in a plane ride?

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 5
  I'm interested in the sound of the W3 vs the X10's as well. In terms of bass muddiness and leak into the mids which has better control the W3 or the X10? How about the amount of the bass overall?

Also, in terms of isolation and comfort, which would be good for wearing 5+ hours straight in a plane ride?

Westone 3 has more bass overall and bleed, mid-bass bloat can be overwhelming depending on volume levels, while x10 has better control to my ears. Isoliation and comfort goes to X10 for me. The Westone tubby housing design prevents a deep insertion whereas x10 will sit deep inside the canal and easily seal. Overall, I do consider Westone 3 an upgrade over x10 if the signature suits, the mids and treble although darker are surely more detailed and have better weight and texture. Plus x10 owners report durability issues with their strain reliefs splitting over time.  For a 5 hour plane ride x10 will give the comfort you need. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back