Westone 3 and FiiO e11 Review/Impressions (Bassheads should read)
Jul 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

chris1474

New Head-Fier
So I recently posted a thread asking if the Westone 3 would satisfy me. Most people that replied said that it would knowing that I mostly listen to Classic Rock and Metal. I received them in the mail on Thursday and immediately began listening to them. I did experience the wow factor that some people said I would experience when I first listened to them. Upon further listening I did notice that when focusing on it, I could tell that my music was being dissected by 3 drivers. This was not apparent unless I was actually listening for it. I'm going to do a very short review of these phones with the FiiO e11 portable amp. This is my first review so it won't be much.

Sound: I have found that the sound of the W3 is a warm and fun sound. This is of course modified by the tips one chooses to use with them. With the triple flange tips the sound is a bit darker with more bass while with the regular silicone tips it is a bit warmer. I find that the foam tips cause the sound to become muddy and undesirable to my ears.
Lows: The bass in these is great, I can hear the low register very well and it packs a little punch right out of the box that become more evident after some burn in.
Mids: The mid range is also good in these. I find that the bass does not take away from the rest of the sound as is usual when one finds good bass in an IEM
Highs: The highs are also good but for those with sensitive ears they may give you some issues.

With the FiiO portable amp: The amplifier give new life to the Westone 3. They have a great deal of life to begin with however, they turn into something completely different with the FiiO amp. Once I plugged them into the amp and listened to some tracks with some heavy bass, I was blown away. I could almost literally feel the air being pushed around in my ear (EQ on 2). If you are a basshead then I would strongly recommend this setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back