Westone 2 vs Westone 3 fitment/isolation-same, better or worse? Thinking of upgrading
Jan 19, 2011 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nadsta

Head-Fier
Hi,

My brand new Westone 2's are giving me a great seal and are refreshingly comfortable but are not providing acceptable isolation, i.e. I can hear myself typing on a MBP keyboard with music playing.

Sound sig is also off for me-mid & bass ok but no real hi freq energy to speak of.  I should say that I have come from ety HF2s followed by Pana HJE900s.

So far I can only any level of isolation on the W2s with either the triple flanges (stalk trimmed), Ety tips/ flanges or the long Complys as supplied. (These all sound very similar and I wonder if their extended tip length is killing the treble.) Isolation for all is poor though. Shorter tips just about seal,  provide slightly more pronounced treble (no more extension, just quantity) but provide zero isolation.

My suspicion is that the shell design, materials or manufacturing allow the shells to 'leak' ambient noise, (there are no cracks).  Even with the big mean Ety black foamies fitted I can hear my MBP fan cool running with the music off. This can't be more than 15dB (I haven't measured it though) .

So I'm thinking of upgrading to the 3's-I can return the 2's as they are faulty anyway (sibilant in one ear).  3's may have better sound sig for me (a bit more v shaped) but I'm concerned that they won't isolate any better.  

And as the W3 shells are fatter  I'm concerned that potentially the triple flanges may not reach my ear canals. Add to that the 'improper' angle of the 'short' stalk that ljoker refers too on his epic iem review, and I'm not confident that I'll get a seal at all with the 3's if I already need the triple flanges for the 2's. However ljoker rated the Westones as a relative 4/5 isolation wise, and I don't think I'm getting anywhere near that.

As I haven't found a UK dealer that accepts returns for westones unless their faulty, I can't really get this wrong...
eek.gif

I'd appreciate comments from anyone that can compare the two models.

Thanks

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 4
Tried Iheadphones.co.uk?  Had nothing but faultless service from them.  Replaced two sets of faulty w2's that I had without question.   Is it me or does there seem to be a higher return rate for the westones lately?

http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headphones-help/headphones-faqs/Returns_Article.html

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Tried Iheadphones.co.uk?  Had nothing but faultless service from them.  Replaced two sets of faulty w2's that I had without question.   Is it me or does there seem to be a higher return rate for the westones lately?

http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headphones-help/headphones-faqs/Returns_Article.html

yeah, there does seem to be a higher amount of westone failure stories lately...but there customer service is top notch nontheless!

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:

Thanks, I haven't checked with www.iheadphones.co.uk regarding their IEM policy.  Other suppliers have said that IEMs are subject to hygiene regulations which restrict returns/exchanges for non-faulty items. I'll call them tomorrow

>>>Update  

quote from www.iheadphones.co.uk returns policy

4.4 You will not have any right to cancel a Contract for the supply of any of the following Products:

4.4.4 Microphones, ear Plugs, in-ear monitors, and any other Product that has contact with your mouth, your nose, or your inner ear.

Quote:
buffalowings said:
yeah, there does seem to be a higher amount of westone failure stories lately...but there customer service is top notch nontheless!

Mine were manufactured in 2009 according to 'checked by' ticket

Users who are viewing this thread

Back