Westone 2 or Westone 3's?
Aug 3, 2012 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SilverGrey

New Head-Fier
I'm after a pair of nice IEM's and have decided to go for a pair of Westones, but not sure which to go for.  

I've read great things about the Westone 2's, but liking electronic music, I've heard people say they can be a light on bass.  But I've also heard that they are described as being neutral sounding with suffiecient bass.  

I would not descirbe myself as a basshead, but do prefer the bass to be present and not overpowering.  I've heard amazing things about the Westone 3's, but have also heard people describe these a thick and bloated, which is not what I'm after.

Aug 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 8
I have the Westone 2's. For electronic music they're probably a no-go. Their bass is adequate enough for me, but wouldn't please any bass-heads, that's for sure.

I can't comment on the W3's.

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 8
Yup, W2 is the more balanced of the two, whilst the 3 has a bigger bolder sound.  It's a pretty much one size fits all sound to me, so if you like it great.  A w2 with a tad  more bass would have been better for my taste than the 3 (and yes I did eventually get round to buying the 3!).

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
I  think W3 is not a good IEM, the bass sound is somehow miss joined with the rest of the music and the vocal is sounded weird, the W2 is definitely better IEM

I wouldn't say it isnt a good IEM, just that the W2 seems to triumph it in almost every aspect. I liked the W2 more no matter how hard i tried to like the 3s. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #8 of 8
Well, in the end I decided to go for a pair of Etymotic HF5's, based on reviews and price.  

I was a bit wary as I like dance/electronic music and wondered if they would be bassy enough, given then they are a single BA.  I was able to get a good seal pretty easily using the smaller flanged tips (the ones that they came fitted with) and I find the bass has just the right weight.  It doesn't dominate the sound and I really like the fact that everything is there, but balanced, making them easy to listen to. The treble is crisp but certainly not ear-splitting.  As a lot of reviews state, the separation is excellent.  I'm still burning them in (I have read that they do need quite a bit) but so far, I'm extremely impressed.

Before they arrived, I did consider investing in a pair of custom tips if I found I couldn't get on with the universal tips, but I can barely feel that they are there, so I've saved myself some cash!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back