Western New York and a few displaced Canadians (impressions, too!)
Nov 3, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #46 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was in Rochester so I stopped in at Radio Daze today and picked up 4. 2 clear tops
biggrin.gif
I just need to verify that they'll work in my amp as they told me they don't show as a replacement for 6CG7's

They are RCA 6GU7 clear tops? Hmmm... I thought there was only one type of RCA 6GU7. Mine have the silver tops, whatever those are called and orange writing on them.

Anyways, let me know how they sound. I wonder if they are different?

The 6GU7 is basically the same tube as the 6CG7 except that it has 3dB less gain.

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #47 of 50
Man, I am SO disappointed I couldn't make it out for this. Some great looking kit, a b22 available to audition among everything else (yea, I'll build it someday, I SWEAR!) and a bunch of goons hamming it up!
wink.gif

Some really interesting impressions here indeed. Renato, I'll have to get some more head-time with those MS-Pros at some point as it seems as though the consensus is that they're almost identical to the RS-1s. I remember at the July meet we had both been surprised by what sounded like fairly distinct differences between the two (neither of us entirely blown away), despite the more common opinion that the differences were unremarkable. Of course, it was a big meet with very little time between the cups, not exactly ideal.

The countryside there is beautiful. Jay, I can't help but notice the view was a lot like the one from your place (forested ridge-line, quiet highway carving a swath below), incidentally one of the best - or was that only?
very_evil_smiley.gif
- views of Hamilton. Then again, my memory is foggy from years of... fumes, yea, fumes.

Anyway, sounds like the RS-1/MS-Pro flirting has developed into something a little more serious. Drop me a line, Jay. I'd be happy to lend you my Grados. I'm "between sources" I guess you could say, so you're welcome to keep them for as long as you can stand not owning them!

[EDIT] Ahem! Jacob, would have been great to see you again, too. And Jim, mighty fine of you to host the meet - we Canucks can be nefarious and wily. Check your couch for change thieves!

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #48 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, sounds like the RS-1/MS-Pro flirting has developed into something a little more serious. Drop me a line, Jay. I'd be happy to lend you my Grados. I'm "between sources" I guess you could say, so you're welcome to keep them for as long as you can stand not owning them!

It is a special kind of evil that seems to be generous on the surface.
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #50 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are RCA 6GU7 clear tops? Hmmm... I thought there was only one type of RCA 6GU7. Mine have the silver tops, whatever those are called and orange writing on them.

Anyways, let me know how they sound. I wonder if they are different?

The 6GU7 is basically the same tube as the 6CG7 except that it has 3dB less gain.

I'll try to take some pigs for you but I definately got a pair of each. I'll have to see what position they sound best in. I actually called singlepower yesterday talked with Jay and he cpnfirmed that they'll work.

I just need to find time to try them out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back