Western Digital Drive Sale
Nov 6, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 6
Not bad, but I checked the compared the price of the 2TB drive (the only one that really interests me, as I already have 2 1TB drives and a 640GB) to the price on Newegg; newegg sells the same drive for 199.99 with free shipping, as opposed to Directron for 209.99 + shipping, which is not free.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #3 of 6
One thing nice about the 500gig Black drives Dircectron has.

They are the single platter models.

Supposed to be hard to find...I would not know since I live in Houston and buy a lion's share the stuff I buy there.

Will bench 2 of the 500's in RAID-0 tomorrow and compare them to the 2 WD 640's in RAID-0...The 640's have 2 320gig platters.

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
One thing nice about the 500gig Black drives Dircectron has.

They are the single platter models.

Is this an advantage are far as dependability. Are you talking about Western Digital model 

WD5002AALX?

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Is this an advantage are far as dependability. Are you talking about Western Digital model 

WD5002AALX?

Yes there is a reliability advantage to single platter drives. They tend to run cooler, the motor & platter bearings are less stressed. Acces to data can be faster due to less weight of the pickup arm assuming the use of the came actuater motor. If you run a multi platter drive in a more confined space the magnetic media can get quite hot & start to loose data whereas the single platter drive would probably live just fine in that condition due to its lower heat production.

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 6
i bought many 500gb 7200rpm single platter drives ran in raid1 to use in computers i built, seagate or samsung, forget which; they run very cool, are slimmer than normal and make almost no noise.  that they would be more reliable than 2+ platter 'makes sense', all else being equal.

It's not something i would fuss too much over though, but given the choice, would always go for less platters.

I simply don't buy 5 platter drives however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back