Were these Sony "groove" discmans any good in your opinion?
May 30, 2006 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

photek

100+ Head-Fier
I bought 3 of these sony pcdp around '98-'99 b/c I liked the sound of them. Granted I never used the "groove" feature b/c it was too much, but the mid bass setting was just perfect for me. These models included the D-E401 (top left), D-E705 (furthest right in middle row), and the D-E561 (left on bottom row) So did you think these players were any good? And can you base your answer on the SQ from the headphone output only and not the line out, or any other feature. oh yeah, that pcdp in the dead center is the worst garbage i've ever heard

May 30, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 12
I'm pretty certain that I had the one in the top left corner...

From what I can remember it was a nice CD player and lasted me quite well. I can't really comment on the SQ to be totally honest as I can't remember it that well though after it (eventually) died on me I went to a Sony D-EJ955 which I thought was even better in terms of sound, build quality & battery life (not to mention costing about twice the price)

On both PCDPs I used to use the bundled earphones as well as using the bass boost functions to make the sound more "fun". Since getting into head-fi I've listened to the D-EJ955 (still got that) again and I don't know how I coped with the original buds & the boost. Much better quality to have decent headphones instead
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 12
My bedroom stereo has the 'groove' setting, it is too much IMO. Have those got a digital-out? Surely with a DAC/Amp it makes them just transports for getting the signal off the CD?

So would that make them worthy buys today, if you fancy playing some CDs?

May 30, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

that pcdp in the dead center is the worst garbage i've ever heard

haha, I have that CD player, got it in high school. Virtually skip proof and batteries lasted a LONG time. Sound is pretty crappy, but it has a line out.

May 30, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 12
the two more expensive ones have optical line out (not the d-e410 though, it has a regular line out) What sucks is the two expensive ones had something go crazy with the computer or something, i'd press stop and it would pause, I press next track and it would stop. And the spindles had the plastic with the little BB marbles that eventually fell out (happened on my first playstation too) Good thing I got them on clearance, brand new too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick
haha, I have that CD player, got it in high school. Virtually skip proof and batteries lasted a LONG time. Sound is pretty crappy, but it has a line out.

lol yeah I had it in high school too, yeah it does have a line out forgot about that. But I used it to listen to music in school and it was horrible. Used it in my car with a car kit and line out, sounded okay. It did however introduce G-protection which might have been better than ESP-2.

May 30, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 12
With an assortment of consumer grade earbuds, I found models like the E705 and E561 pretty respectable out of the headphone out. Actually, I think the E705 was a pretty decent player just in general as far as Discmen go, and the optical out works while on battery power if I remember correctly, which was a relatively new feature back then (before this, you needed an AC adaptor to use the optical out). ESP2 sucks, though, as a skip protection.

May 30, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 12
I'm still waiting to receive the D-E705 I won on ebay. Should arrive soon. Just for a backup transport. Using Optical Digital outs only of course. So cheap I couldn't refuse
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by filbert

With an assortment of consumer grade earbuds, I found models like the E705 and E561 pretty respectable out of the headphone out. Actually, I think the E705 was a pretty decent player just in general as far as Discmen go, and the optical out works while on battery power if I remember correctly, which was a relatively new feature back then (before this, you needed an AC adaptor to use the optical out). ESP2 sucks, though, as a skip protection.

Thanks for that Filbert! I didn't know that... very nice extra indeed! I do know that it has a backlit remote too... that I will use on other Discmen of the same period for night-time control.

May 31, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 12
the one in the center was m first means of portable audio ever
frown.gif

i was about 10~ish. i remember the battery life was good and the bass boost was way too much bass. even for the little kid who followed main stream and thought bass was everything in a song.

i still do....bad times.

Dec 12, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 12
LOL I'd hate to bump this thread buy I still own and USE the Sony D-E401. I can't use the skip protection though because the cover is not secure enough and will shut itself off with enough tapping. I've owned it for 7-8 years now <3
icon10.gif

Dec 19, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #12 of 12
I still have and use daily E-441 with my MS-1. In my opinion it has better, fuller sound then D-NE10 (which I also have) from headphone out. I don't know about the line out though, waiting for my Go-Vibe
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back