Went to CanJam 2015 and now I'm here
Apr 1, 2015 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kerrigan

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Like the title says, I didn't really know what I was getting myself into when I went. I've been a long-time lurker of the site (almost 3 years?) but never had the heart to make an account since I would just read and run.

Welp, that all changed at CanJam. Met lots of nice folks and had a great time. My fave cans I got to listen to:

- Hifiman HE-400i
- Hifiman HE-1000
- MrSpeakers ETHER
- Sennheiser HD 800

Honorable mentions:

- Sennheiser Momentum 2
- Sennheiser Urbanite XL

There are more but I can't think of them right now. I wasn't too into the IEMs there but I'll list the ones I thought were cool, if I remember. Obviously, these are pretty pricey cans so if anyone has some good recommendations for alternatives that are ~$200 range, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Apr 1, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 6
  Open or closed? What sound signature are you looking for? What source are you using?

I've tried closed before but I'm open to open. (HA!) I'm not very sure what signature. I'm still reading on the site to learn more about it. My source is a trusty little FiiO e7. Should I upgrade my source? TIA 

Apr 1, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 6
A few thoughts. Open: Sennheiser HD598 (superb deals on this right now--$154 on amazon); AKG K612; Soundmaagic HP200. Closed: AKG K550/K545; Soundmagic HP150; Beyer DT770 Pro; Senn Momentum 2 (out of budget by a mile, but you liked it).

I would read about some or all of these and see how you feel about them. The K612 and the Beyer will need an amp and I'm not sure if the E7 has enough (it may). If you decide you want the K612 or the Beyer, you can explore that further. The K545 has more bass than the K550, but is more expensive under normal circumstances. It also has a smaller soundstage than  the K550, so there is a tradeoff. The cups are also bigger on the K550 and it is less portable than the K545.

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 6
If you are a little bit into tech you shouldn't buy the Sennheiser HD 598 but the HD 558 they cost less and you can get the same soundsignature by removing the foam rubber from inside, so essentially you get a 598 for cheaper. Otherwise i would recomment you the AKG K612 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back