Went from ER6i to E2c - now what?
Mar 4, 2006 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dok_indo

New Head-Fier
I had the Er6i and I liked the sound isolating qualities of these phones but the bass was lacking so I moved to the E2c. These sound better but the sound isolating qualites are lacking, at least relative to the Er6i. I primarily use these on the plane and I was really impressed with how well the Er6i could limit noise. (I use the foam tips.)

So now I'm ready to "move up" and wondering which way to go? My budget for this endeavor (for now
biggrin.gif
) is $200.

Thanks

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 15
I would recommend the ER4P/S, but seeing you actually went to the E2c after the ER6i (which IMO is a downgrade) because of bass problems, the Super.Fi 5 Pro will seem like the obvious choice. However, if you are enjoying Shure sound, then the E4c would also be a hit.

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickennuggets
why recommend um1's after seeing hes coming from er6i and e2c?

Did I sound like I was recommending them? Cause it wasn't my intention at all... UM1 are bassy and provide pretty good isolation (2 of his requirements) but are much cheaper than what he's looking for. So I said 5 pro.

BTW, where can I get the UM2 or 5c for $200? Thanks in advance.

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 15
That would be an issue with the supplied tips not fitting properly. For me, the medium single flange tips provided total noise isolation. Definitely not for use in situations where you have to be aware of your surroundings.

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dok_indo
In terms of sound isolation only how would you rank these:

um2's
super.fi5
er4p
e4c/5c

Thanks -you guys are all so helpful.

For most people, it should be something like the following using foam tips:

er4p
e4c/5c, um2
super.fi5

I think the um2 would be perfect if you're looking for a bassy sound and good isolation.

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 15
My dilema is the same as dok_indo. Deciding what to buy and which Review Websites to believe. I will tell you that I find CNET to be utterly USELESS with their reviews. They are very much overated. They have Company Product Managers posting "User" reviews on the CNET website pumping their products. Quite obvious!!

Ok, I had 1 website love the e4c/5c and critical of Super.fi5 pro. Had another website LOVE the Super.fi5 pro and hate the e4c. huh???

I travel extensively via plane with job. I am definitely looking for noise cancellation.

Perhaps one of you veterans can clear my head and help me decide.
Nobody likes to make a mistake and get the wrong things....
confused.gif

I have decided to buy the Creative Zen Vision: M with 30 GB.
If I buy the Super.fi5 pro, will this work nicely with the Zen?
I also listen/watch DVD's with my DELL D610 laptop. Will the Super.fi5 do well with laptop?

I am also interested in an amplifier for the Zen & DELL Laptop. Could someone recommend a mini amplifier I can carry on the plane? Any of you familiar with the Total Airhead Amps?

Thanks

BladeRunner

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #13 of 15
the isolation i get from my um1's, comply tips short or long is amazing. when my music is on i cant hear anything. its great. when the music is off, i still can hardly hear anything, its gotta be pretty loud for me to hear it. i love the um1's, i think theyre excellent for my listening preferences, metal, hardcore, punk. i can hear the bass, the mids are good and theyre not over high. if the um2's werent 299 and i didnt wanna expose anymore crappiness of the encoded music on my ipod, id get them. my music is 192+ but its not lossless. gah, maybe ill get them. i think the um1's are prolly good enough except, i cant help but wonder
confused.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BladeRunner...
My dilema is the same as dok_indo. Deciding what to buy and which Review Websites to believe. I will tell you that I find CNET to be utterly USELESS with their reviews. They are very much overated. They have Company Product Managers posting "User" reviews on the CNET website pumping their products. Quite obvious!!

Ok, I had 1 website love the e4c/5c and critical of Super.fi5 pro. Had another website LOVE the Super.fi5 pro and hate the e4c. huh???

I travel extensively via plane with job. I am definitely looking for noise [Isolation].

Perhaps one of you veterans can clear my head and help me decide.
Nobody likes to make a mistake and get the wrong things....
confused.gif

I have decided to buy the Creative Zen Vision: M with 30 GB.
If I buy the Super.fi5 pro, will this work nicely with the Zen?
I also listen/watch DVD's with my DELL D610 laptop. Will the Super.fi5 do well with laptop?

I am also interested in an amplifier for the Zen & DELL Laptop. Could someone recommend a mini amplifier I can carry on the plane? Any of you familiar with the Total Airhead Amps?

Thanks

BladeRunner

The ER4p is pretty much the best as far as isolation goes I believe. (obviously not counting UE10's which I'd imagine aren't in your IEM price range or any sane individuals for that matter. Not that I don't eventually plan to buy them lols. one day a long time from now
etysmile.gif
)

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 15
Thanks everyone for your input- I'm gonna get the er4p since the sound isolation is likely to be the best and I can assume the bass will be better than what I had with the ER6i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back