Wells Audio - Impressions & Questions
Sep 20, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #436 of 636
Hi guys, just got a used wells dragon L3. Just sharing i seem to prefer the 6dj8 tubes. Btw has anyone ever went all out and bought some of those holy grail level tubes, like from siemens or russian reflektors? or what tubes have used that anyone can recommend just want to play around with tubes, out of curiosity. Thanks in advance.
Congratulations, was vacillating a while ago between the Milo and Dragon. Chose the Milo and am quite happy with it. But you know how it is, you always seem to want what you don't have. 🤔 Which hps are you running with the Dragon? Any hiss to speak of?

Sep 20, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #437 of 636
Congratulations, was vacillating a while ago between the Milo and Dragon. Chose the Milo and am quite happy with it. But you know how it is, you always seem to want what you don't have. 🤔 Which hps are you running with the Dragon? Any hiss to speak of?
Thanks, i Already have a milo and still love it, and have a cen.grand silver fox otw. I am a bit amp crazy. I auditioned the silver fox, it was incredible, even beats the milo and i placed an order for it. no hiss on my dragon. Mostly zmfs, atrium VO, VC. I love the vocals, acoustic and country music from the dragon L3, just looking the get the absolute maximum out of it.

Sep 29, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #438 of 636
Hi guys, just got a used wells dragon L3. Just sharing i seem to prefer the 6dj8 tubes. Btw has anyone ever went all out and bought some of those holy grail level tubes, like from siemens or russian reflektors? or what tubes have used that anyone can recommend just want to play around with tubes, out of curiosity. Thanks in advance.
If you like the 6dj8 you might want look into the 6922 or 7308 tubes with the dragon. I’m using the Amperex 7308 with great results. Look for the ones from late 50’s thru the 1960’s.

Here‘s a link to some excellent info on the finding the best 6922 and 7308 tubes.

http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

Sep 30, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #439 of 636
If you like the 6dj8 you might want look into the 6922 or 7308 tubes with the dragon. I’m using the Amperex 7308 with great results. Look for the ones from late 50’s thru the 1960’s.

Here‘s a link to some excellent info on the finding the best 6922 and 7308 tubes.

http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm
Thank you for the suggestions, i am looking for some different tubes. Do have suggestions for the 12bh7 tubes too?

Also just want to say, the dragon performs very differently between dynamic driver and planar HPs. I believe Dragon performs very well with planar, infact exceeding solid state, but falls behind solid state when it comes to dynamic drivers. Not saying it sounds bad with dynamics, its just that planars(caldera) seem to fit like a glove with the dragon.

Oct 3, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #440 of 636
The Headtrip arrived today (thanks to @The Piper ). What a wonderful piece of kit. Truly fantastic 🎶🎶🎶

IMG_3432.jpeg

Oct 4, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #443 of 636
Jeff sure knows how to make an outstanding amp - power of a deluxe SS amp, yet with tube-like sound. How "warm" does your outboard LPS get after about an hour or so of listening?

Oct 5, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #444 of 636
Thank you for the suggestions, i am looking for some different tubes. Do have suggestions for the 12bh7 tubes too?

Also just want to say, the dragon performs very differently between dynamic driver and planar HPs. I believe Dragon performs very well with planar, infact exceeding solid state, but falls behind solid state when it comes to dynamic drivers. Not saying it sounds bad with dynamics, its just that planars(caldera) seem to fit like a glove with the dragon.
For 12BH7 I really liked the RCA black plate dimpled getter, the earlyHytron 12BH7 1950 thru 1953 (first 3 in pic below) would be my second choice. Here is a link to some info to help with search.
http://oldstockaudio.blogspot.com/2010/05/12bh7-listening-test.html

IMG_0405.jpeg

Oct 8, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #445 of 636
For 12BH7 I really liked the RCA black plate dimpled getter, the earlyHytron 12BH7 1950 thru 1953 (first 3 in pic below) would be my second choice. Here is a link to some info to help with search.
http://oldstockaudio.blogspot.com/2010/05/12bh7-listening-test.html

IMG_0405.jpeg
Thanks for the link. Some of the rcas mentioned seem very difficult to find. Seen a few brimars of similar description to the RCAs, but the exact description of the rca o getters, nobody seems to have any for sale. Btw do you prefer overall the 6dj8 or the 12bh7?

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #446 of 636
Thanks for the link. Some of the rcas mentioned seem very difficult to find. Seen a few brimars of similar description to the RCAs, but the exact description of the rca o getters, nobody seems to have any for sale. Btw do you prefer overall the 6dj8 or the 12bh7?
Between the 6dj8 or the 12bh7 lean slightly towards the 12bh7 rca black plate white letter dimple getter. Once you get into the higher end of the 6dj8 like the 6922 and 7308 there’s some better sounding choice.

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #447 of 636
Between the 6dj8 or the 12bh7 lean slightly towards the 12bh7 rca black plate white letter dimple getter. Once you get into the higher end of the 6dj8 like the 6922 and 7308 there’s some better sounding choice.
Thanks for the info. I may have to do a search to get a matching NOS pair of rcas you mentioned. Has anyone had any experience going with the uber expensive "holy grail" 6dj8/e88cc types for the wells dragon? i wonder whether their legendary and pricey status translates into significant SQ uptick in a dragon.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #449 of 636
First time back online in a long, long time. I stopped by to see @The Piper today. It was great to briefly catch up. I’m looking forward to a few tweaks to my Headtrip and Cipher and more listening next month.

What’s happening in the Wells Audio corner of head-if??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back