Wells Audio - Impressions & Questions
Dec 19, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #271 of 636
Cipher Level 2 ordered today! Excited to see how it compares to the Denafrips Terminator Plus and Gaia DDC combo. Also happens to be my first tube component. Sounds like Jeff is going to be able to build it within a week, so shouldn’t be too long. What am I in for?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #272 of 636
Cipher Level 2 ordered today! Excited to see how it compares to the Denafrips Terminator Plus and Gaia DDC combo. Also happens to be my first tube component. Sounds like Jeff is going to be able to build it within a week, so shouldn’t be too long. What am I in for?
Honestly most natural presentation of digital to analog. I can tell when I listen to my other DAC’s the cipher I can’t. Basically it’s like there is no dac. Smooth non digital sounding. Natural edge no lack in depth isn’t lean or fat. Other DAC’s add to make you hear it’s good sounding.

Dec 19, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #273 of 636
I just the Sasha Tres planar from Ukraine and they are my 2nd favorite headphone. These fall behind the 1266. On the Milo and Dragon just freakin roller coaster ride. They have this holographic atmospheric presence like the 1266 but more comfy.
image.jpg
I won’t claim Tres beats lcd 5 in technical aspect I only know the pleasure they bring. The bass is so effortless and is big the overall sound sounds bigger than lcd 5. Price of Tres starts at $450. It’s more comfortable than lcd 5 the earpads feel like pillows. No harshness it projects treble away from the ear. Midrange is crazy. This is a worthy headphone that many will enjoy.

Dec 19, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #274 of 636
Wells is in charge. Sold my WA5 LE and rearranged setup. Something about the Milo being more musical to my ear then the Dragon. Dragon does more but PRAT is going to the Milo. Though hitting bass on my 1266 goes to the Dragon. Milo kills it with Tres and LCD 5. I am not happy with other headphones. Only 3 headphones made the cut. Did setup with headphones I’ll make another shelf for the rest.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Dec 21, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #275 of 636
Took the Milo into work today
PXL_20211221_121812351.PORTRAIT.jpg

This is my inverter
PXL_20211221_121751139.PORTRAIT.jpg

Dec 21, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #276 of 636
For those who have heard Headtrip vs dragon level 3, what are the sonic differences and does the Headtrip hold its own even with the higher price point?

Dec 22, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #277 of 636
Congratulations! The perfect companion for your Headtrip!

Dec 22, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #278 of 636
Dec 22, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #279 of 636
I put my Cipher lvl 1 up in classifieds. Need some money to make last payment on an amp having built.

Dec 22, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #280 of 636
Dec 22, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #281 of 636
Dec 22, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #282 of 636
Dec 22, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #283 of 636
Dec 23, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #284 of 636
In case anyone is interested Wells Audio has booked the Harbor Room (22' x 24') at the Audiocon show in Newport Beach on January 14-16, 2022. I plan to have a large 2 channel setup as well as a Dragon or two, Headtrip II with outboard power supply and a Cipher I and Cipher Level II. Also there will be the new prototype of the Looking Glass II Level II power conditioner. This conditioner is revolutionary with " 60Hz Harmonic Reflection Damping" technology developed by Wells Audio. There is a level of noise reduction and detail never before experienced in audio. It sounds like an outlandish claim but for those that know me they know that this statement is not hyperbole. Of all of the designs that have grabbed the imagination of the high end market this may be the greatest design yet. Following the Audiocon the next planned show will be the headphone show at Axpona in April in Schaumburg, IL. In case you haven't seen it here is the link to the latest Dragon II review by Dave Hanson.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/wells-audio-dragon.25614/reviews#review-27520

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #285 of 636
A few questions for the Cipher owners (and Jeff):

1) Are there any switches to adjust the digital filter being used (even internal DIP switches) on the ESS chip?
2) Is there a preferred input that is generally considered superior?
3) Can the input switch on the back be switched while on and in use?

I have a Toslink input (TV) that I'd like to be able to switch to. It seems I have a couple of options:

1) Keep my Gaia DDC and run my streamer to it via USB and the TV to it via Toslink and use it to switch inputs. I could then do coax between the Gaia and the Cipher. If I did this, I'd need to purchase a quality coax for between the Gaia and Cipher.

2) Get a cheap Toslink to digital coax converter and convert my TV's Toslink to digital coax to plug into the Cipher. I can then run USB direct from my my streamer to the Cipher. Only downside is that I'd have to switch on the Cipher (which is in the back).

I'm leaning toward option #2 since it gets me the most direct connection from my streamer to my DAC and skips the DDC altogether.

Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back