Weller station sucks.
Jul 24, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #16 of 36
I want something better then the hakko 936 now that I think of it,

I want to buy something that wont die on me, and I believe the last time I saw the 936 it only reached temp level equivelant to a 40 watt iron.

can anyone give me some better irons for recommendation?

I solder a few hundred joints every few weeks or so, and I need something reliable and hot enough to tin 21 awg enameled wire.

40 watts was even close enough to heat enameled wire!

I also want to use it for amp building in the future, so please take that into consideration, I feel the need to start building some really really pretty DIY amps, incorporating some style into my work
smily_headphones1.gif
but that wont be until maybe a couple years from now, if Im still into DIY.

Thanks!

Jul 24, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
this is my 3rd amp, the weller wlc100.

its trash now, its become unreliable, the power didnt turn on today until a few multiple attempts and all the cabling was inserted properly.

Switching the tip I lost the tiny screw which fell out.

Screw this crappy iron, Im gonna go pick up the hakko 936

I've had a wlc100 for a few years now, and no problems. I do find it funny that you're mad at them when you lost the screw yourself...LOL....

Watch out if you do get the 936. That's a 60w iron while the wlc100 is only a 40w. You could easily cook something on your next project!

Jul 24, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz
Watch out if you do get the 936. That's a 60w iron while the wlc100 is only a 40w. You could easily cook something on your next project!

not likely, the 936 is tempreture regulated and does a pretty good job of it, dial into any temp upto 450c (i forget the lower end of the scale) and it will hold that temp pretty well

Jul 24, 2005 at 11:02 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

I want something better then the hakko 936 now that I think of it,

I want to buy something that wont die on me, and I believe the last time I saw the 936 it only reached temp level equivelant to a 40 watt iron.

can anyone give me some better irons for recommendation?

You need high-thermal-thrust tips, not a higher wattage iron..
I've worked with enamelled wires using just a simple 20W Goot iron before.. Those needle size tips aren't going to cut it.. Get those tips that are larger or better yet, those that are specified as high-thermal-thrust tips..

Jul 24, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

this is my 3rd amp, the weller wlc100.

its trash now, its become unreliable, the power didnt turn on today until a few multiple attempts and all the cabling was inserted properly.

Instead of trashing it you might figure out what's wrong and fix it. That might even be preferrible to warranty replacement if that model is flawed.

Quote:

Switching the tip I lost the tiny screw which fell out.

What does that have to do with wanting a better iron? If your amp's screw got lost would you trash it? Just trying to put things in perspective- find a screw.

Quote:

Screw this crappy iron, Im gonna go pick up the hakko 936

It may not be a "good" iron but for the (low) amount of soldering you do, it doesn't necessarily warrant some high-end iron and would mostly be a waste of $. The most important part of an iron is the tips (assuming a certain minimal quality level like ceramic element that's replaceable) find which tips you like/want/need/etc. It's a bit unrealistic (and harder on an [pencil] iron) trying to crank it up to output over 40W. Just grab a cheap soldering gun if you need high wattage- someday you may find you need it for something larger anyway. Even so, a thick/stout tip will get the most out of any element.

Jul 24, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #23 of 36
If you DO decide to trash it, I'd be happy to pawn it off your hands
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mono
It may not be a "good" iron but for the (low) amount of soldering you do, it doesn't necessarily warrant some high-end iron and would mostly be a waste of $.

Well I took that as an attempt to insult me on your part, since you do not know how much soldering I do in the first place. I did enough to wear out the soldering iron in 3 weeks, so thats enough.

the screw used in the soldering iron was a short thread small one, it fell out after I thought I tighted it
frown.gif
, the rat shack iron uses one that stays in the iron.

This is my 3rd iron, and I dont want to plan on rpelacing another one anytime soon, and did you read my post about wanting to work with amps? rather then add something insulting and self righteous,

I ask for quality iron recommendations and you give me the snob treatment.

and your post helps me find a good iron how?

take your elitist attitude elsewhere.

Jul 24, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Well I took that as an attempt to insult me on your part, since you do not know how much soldering I do in the first place. I did enough to wear out the soldering iron in 3 weeks, so thats enough.

Then you're being irrational. I give what I feel to be an accurate reply, without any kind of coloration towards ANYONE'S ego, not yours, mine or anyone elses, and with no attempt to insult. I did think you're going a bit over the top but believe me if I'd wanted to insult, the post would've read quite differently. You did also mention the volume of soldering.

Quote:

the screw used in the soldering iron was a short thread small one, it fell out after I thought I tighted it
frown.gif
, the rat shack iron uses one that stays in the iron.

OK. Maybe the screw was junk, but you make no meniton of the iron's hole threads being stripped so what's the big deal about a screw? Buy one or look around in some drawers for something that fits. You might even find something suitable in a $1 pack at the local hardware store.

Quote:

This is my 3rd iron, and I dont want to plan on rpelacing another one anytime soon, and did you read my post about wanting to work with amps? rather then add something insulting and self righteous,

It's only a soldering iron! You bought a cheap one and now are trying to OVERcompensate. Some people might be more appreciative at a suggestion of what they really need. Anyone can just suggest the most expensive thing without regard for what's appropriate, but at least in this thread I am pleasantly surprised at the reasonable Hakko suggestions. However, you mention nothing that would require some high-end iron, and the truth is that it would be better to aid in determining the qualities of an iron than just pointing to a specific model. Give a man a fish ...

Quote:

I ask for quality iron recommendations and you give me the snob treatment.

You're the one being the snob, thinking your "idea" shouldn't be fully assessed. Let's face it, if you already knew what you needed, you wouldn't have asked, right? What service would it be to you if the actual parameters, details weren't discussed? I'm NOT GOING TO STROKE YOUR EGO! This should be a factual thread about real needs, and additionally dispelling some of the ideas you had, like a > 40W pencil iron.

Quote:

and your post helps me find a good iron how?

take your elitist attitude elsewhere.

You're obviously getting too emotional about a soldering iron. My post DID have the potential to help if you'd bothered to read it for the content rather than trying to read offense into everything. I'm not going to repost the prior post so perhaps you should just reread it without the attitude, as I posted ONLY what I felt was pertinent information. I can't help it if you find pertinent information offensive.

Finally, I find it offensive that when I try to post something useful, I have to put up with your attitude. Don't post a thread if you don't want replies. What point is there in all the replies being exactly the same?

Jul 24, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

model number please
smily_headphones1.gif

I need something with a good tip exchange system rather then the tiny screw type.

http://www.all-spec.com/start/metcal...=7_05man_index
take your pick, i just have to warn you... a while back when i still do solder for living, i've use this PS200 before and some other model but i don't see it on their site. we throw tips away almost every 4-5 days as being the company open 24hr and 6days a week. the tips as i remember they're super expensive around 20/tip they're super easy to remove. the heat transfer can be exchange by tips or heat adjustable, for inexperience solder you can burn board like paper! we use that mainly for SMT.

Jul 24, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #27 of 36
Mono,

dude just get out of this thread you have contributed NOTHING other than flame bait, just get out already. Stop being an smart arse.
Your "potential help" is actually destructive help, now youre just being a thorn arguing for the sake of arguing.

James,

Thanks fo the link!

Jul 24, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Mono,

dude just get out of this thread you have contributed NOTHING other than flame bait, just get out already. Stop being an smart arse.

Let's back up a minute and look at what transpired. You posted asking about soldering irons and didn't "like" my answer so you got offended. It was ENTIRELY appropriate in a DIY forum to suggest finding a screw for it, appropriate to consider what your actual needs are too. I stand behind my post and feel your irrational attitude has completely bend your out of shape solely due to your own faults.

Quote:

Your "potential help" is actually destructive help, now youre just being a thorn arguing for the sake of arguing.

If you didn't want to find a screw or consider my other suggestions, they WHY are you throwing a temper tantrum about it? Simply discard the ideas just as anyone would discard 90% of the ideas presented when THEY end up choosing one in the end!

Jul 24, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mono
If you didn't want to find a screw or consider my other suggestions, they WHY are you throwing a temper tantrum about it? Simply discard the ideas just as anyone would discard 90% of the ideas presented when THEY end up choosing one in the end!

I thought it was obvious that I didnt want to use the weller, didnt the title make it clear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back