Well, you got a new member here
Jan 7, 2004 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

danaa

100+ Head-Fier
My situation is this. I love my sound system and am a speakers kind of guy. However, I'm at my computer quite a bit, always listening to music, and there's no way to be in a sweet spot sonically while here, so, after some deliberation, I decided to hold off on buying a tube preamp and go the headphone route. The problem was that my torn up Beyerdynamic DT-990's are so beaten up that they sound horrible and the headphone outlet on my Integra 9.4 pre-pro is nothing to write home about AT ALL!!!

I stumbled on this forum from a link at Audio Asylum and have been reading, reading, reading for days now...literally over a thousand posts.

I knew that Stereophile had listed the HD 600's class A recommended, but had no feel for how they sounded sonically until I came here. Voila, well double voila since I can't audition them, through the well informed words of posters here, I started to get a feel for what might be a great entry level system.

I choose the Sennheiser 650's with the Perreaux SXH-1, although I won't say I wasn't tempted by some of the delicious sounding tube gear out there.

Most surprisingly, I'm really starting to look forward to this. Maybe, I'll turn into one of you guys, which is huge since I love the sound of my current gear so much.

I have ordered a replacement cord, but it won't be here for a couple of weeks, where as Audio Advisor's amp and headphones will be hear tomorrow (by the way, you guys saved me money here to).

Just wanted to say hello and that you all got me kind of excited. And, most of all, thanks for all the great descriptions of how individual gear sounds.
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 10
Welcome, and sorry about your wallet!

Please post your impressions on the 650 and SXH-1 combo.
Are you planning to use any other source besides your PC?

Jan 7, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the welcome Bootman.

I'm going to run it off of my Intergra 9.4 preamp/processor, using an Arcam 72T CD player as my source.

I will be patient will burn in. My current speakers improved sonically for at least 50-60 hours.

Don't worry about the pocket book. I actually am thinking that a headphone setup is relatively inexpensive. It's when the addiction comes that it really starts to hurt, but what's life without great music.

I'm already thinking about which CD's I'll play first!!! It's like being a little kid waiting to open up Christmas presents.
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by danaa

Don't worry about the pocket book. I actually am thinking that a headphone setup is relatively inexpensive.

That's what you say now. Remember that when your buying $2,000 cables, a $5,000+ source and the headroom max for your HD650 .
Trust me when I say this , buy the best you can possibley afford and LEAVE! This is NOT a joke , leave .. leave now !

It's too late for me
frown.gif

Jan 7, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 10
Hello there.

HD650 = entry level?
confused.gif
eek.gif
whoa.....

My crystal ball says.... I foresee tubes in your future.
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 10
Well, I have been in contact with Mike who sells the EarMax gear through Audiogon and have been eyeing Ray Samuel's stuff.
wink.gif

Yikes, $2000 cables and a $5000 source!!!

Well, that's where you guys come in. I was a moderator (now, I guess I'm classified "moderator emeritus" on another board) and when I wanted to buy my new speakers, to overcome my WAF, I had them address posts to my wife saying that she married a sissy boy unless I got them. Perhaps, if it gets to that stage, you guys could do likewise.

biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanks guys. Nik has nothing to worry about. I'm really hoping that I'll just be overwhelmed with delight with the two I got. Still,
tubes............................................. ...

Yeah, somewhere down the line, I think tubes would be sweet.

Oh..........that liquid sound drenching my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back