Well, you can't take it with you...
May 6, 2006 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mjb

100+ Head-Fier
So, I've been looking for a way to make music sound good for a really long time...trouble is I've been trying to do it for a few hundred here, a thousand there and never really being happy. So I'd sell stuff and buy other stuff. Some of it sounded pretty good, but it was always leaving something to be desired. I like headphones, but mainly had been using them because of the quality/price ratio in relation to speakers. So I decided to either give up or go for it...

I can't give up...

Rega Apollo [Kimber Hero]-> Bryston B6R [Kimber Hero]-> Bryston 2BSST [kimber braid]-> B&W 705's

It sounds really good...I'm very happy with this. Just had to tell someone, my wife's sick of hearing about it
smily_headphones1.gif

mjb

May 6, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 9
I was having the exact same problems as you were mjb, and I must say, speakers seems to be the solution =D There was just something wrong about the headphone presentation that I just found lacking; B&W's rock by the way, good choice =D

May 7, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 9
I have never felt that headphones can bring the same presentation as a good set of speakers can. There is something about being enveloped in the sound, to actually feel the vibrations in your entire body that makes the experience that much better than headphones. Headphones are wonderful for a things, such as critical listening, and private listening. They can also be more relaxing sometimes than big in-your-face speakers. But, if I REALLY want to get into the music I always go into the den and turn on my NHT's and leave the Senns sitting idle. You're right though, the cost/performance ratio of headphones cannot be beat by speakers. I simply find speakers more enjoyable.

May 10, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #4 of 9
I agree... speakers are the way to go. As for the whole cost/performance thing, I have to disagree to a point. I dont think it's as simple as saying headphones are more bang for the buck.

In the beginning, sure.... but then when you get towards the $3K+ headphone setups, then I'm not so sure. $3K invested in the right speakers and amps will get my foot tapping far more than headphones of the same price range. You cant mess with true soundstage reproduction.

May 10, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
I agree... speakers are the way to go. As for the whole cost/performance thing, I have to disagree to a point. I dont think it's as simple as saying headphones are more bang for the buck.

In the beginning, sure.... but then when you get towards the $3K+ headphone setups, then I'm not so sure. $3K invested in the right speakers and amps will get my foot tapping far more than headphones of the same price range. You cant mess with true soundstage reproduction.

So true... If you hang around this website enough, you'll see pretty soon that blowing 1k+ on a headphone rig is far from impossible. Before you know it, you'll be getting yourself an amp and a pair (or 2) of headphones and the price will get pretty darn close to 1k.

Since I've been auditioning many 1k/pair speakers, I can safely say that the 1k mark can get you speakers that will smoke headphones in absolutely every way except for detail; they'll have the soundstaging that headphones can only dream of and a bass to die for.

The only thing that the 1k mark does not do for speakers is detail; it takes around the 3k mark to bring detail on par with a good pair of headphones. As long as you're not a COMPLETE stickler about detail however, I feel like anyone who has the room for a pair of speakers and is spending 1k+ on a headphone rig is crazy =P

May 10, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
So true... If you hang around this website enough, you'll see pretty soon that blowing 1k+ on a headphone rig is far from impossible. Before you know it, you'll be getting yourself an amp and a pair (or 2) of headphones and the price will get pretty darn close to 1k.

Since I've been auditioning many 1k/pair speakers, I can safely say that the 1k mark can get you speakers that will smoke headphones in absolutely every way except for detail; they'll have the soundstaging that headphones can only dream of and a bass to die for.

The only thing that the 1k mark does not do for speakers is detail; it takes around the 3k mark to bring detail on par with a good pair of headphones. As long as you're not a COMPLETE stickler about detail however, I feel like anyone who has the room for a pair of speakers and is spending 1k+ on a headphone rig is crazy =P

See my sig... I've had over $1000 invested in phones before.
tongue.gif

May 11, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
See my sig... I've had over $1000 invested in phones before.
tongue.gif

Oh man, your old headphone rig is so darn close to the rig I almost had that it's scary. Maybe people are right when they say that the HD650 is the closest thing to a good speaker rig; so close in fact that it makes you make the jump! =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back