Well the HD650 are making music
Jun 19, 2007 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

fc911c

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone

The Fedex man delivered my HD650's a few hours ago and so far I am very happy.
icon10.gif
First thoughts there very comfortable and sound really nice. I had a set of Senn 280 that I didnt like at all, way to bright and clamped my crainium. I also have PX100 that I like.

I am a little puzzled by one thing, after reading post's about sound cards not having enough power to drive these, I was thinking now I have to wait to get an amp to really enjoy them. But to my surprise my PC sound card (Sondigo Inferno 7.1) had more than enough power to drive them. I have the volume at 30-50% on WMP and it's loud. I was even surprised that my Samsung YP-Z5 mp3 player was able to drive them, although not with much volume but the SQ was very good.

The SQ is the best I have heard from what I have listened to so far which isn't much. So my question is will and amp make things sound better or just louder?

Thanks
Frank

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amp them and you'll soon find out it gets even better. Yeah, the HD-650 (and its HD-580/-600, for that matter) sound quite fine unamped but they can do far better than just that.

Well that's good to know, things are really looking up then.
600smile.gif

Thanks

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 24
With a better source and amp and arguably cable, you will notice better seperation and control, as well as quality bass; through my old 5G iPod/ALO Jumbo Cryo/original Hornet/HD650, the bass seemed very smeared and one-note kind of.

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fc911c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that's good to know, things are really looking up then.
600smile.gif

Thanks

Loudness doesn't equate to being driven properly.. On music my 340's get pretty loud, but I can still tell they are underpowered.

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 24
Hd650s were mediocre with onboard sound on my PC.
Hd650s were decent with the X-FI in headphone mode.
Hd650s were good with the X-FI in stereo 2.1 mode.
Hd650s were very good with my entech 205.2.
Hd650s were great with my gilmore lite.
Hd650s are excellent/near-perfect with my personal equalizer settings.

Jun 19, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 24
HD650s do make music very well
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by practitioner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650s do make music very well
smily_headphones1.gif

yes they do
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 24
You may even find that by removing the foam driver covers and replacing them with panty hose material, they brighten up a bit and the high end is less veiled or muddy. Made a big difference on mine! Enjoy!

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may even find that by removing the foam driver covers and replacing them with panty hose material, they brighten up a bit and the high end is less veiled or muddy. Made a big difference on mine! Enjoy!

Thanks for the tip, is this easily done? Can it be put back on once removed ?

Did you make ant other tweeks?

Thanks
Frank

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #12 of 24
Actually very easy. Just snap the ear pads out and then remove the foam covers. Then you can use the foam covers as a template to cut the new nylon stocking material covers. Then lay the new material over the drivers, and snap the ear pads back in. Really quite easy to do. I replaced the stock cable with the Cardas cable. They sound great after about 50+ hours of break in time. There are other threads on replacing the foam covers to "unveil" the HD 650's.

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Actually very easy. Just snap the ear pads out and then remove the foam covers. Then you can use the foam covers as a template to cut the new nylon stocking material covers. Then lay the new material over the drivers, and snap the ear pads back in. Really quite easy to do. I replaced the stock cable with the Cardas cable. They sound great after about 50+ hours of break in time. There are other threads on replacing the foam covers to "unveil" the HD 650's.

cool sounds good thanks

Frank

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

one other question, how do I pull of the pads, are there any pictures of doing this?

Thanks
Frank

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #15 of 24
Actually you just pull them off, they rest in these tight channels. And when you put them back on you have to make sure to press hard to snap them back in the channels. What I did was just pinch the entire pad in my fingers and slowly just pull them out of the channels they sit in. Once you have themm off you will see what I'm talking about. Some others on here have used very light window screen material instead of the nylon. I know there are other threads on this, maybe search unveiling hd650's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back