"well say how you really feel" ATH-w100
May 10, 2003 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bthorny

100+ Head-Fier
I've looked into the depths of the archives for information on the ATH-w100.

So many different viewpoints about one phone.
The thing that bothers me the most about them is the are compared way too much against the w1000's when the w1000's are quite abit more expensive as far as I've seen used anyway, which I see as the boulevard price (used street price, my little invention). I've read way to many pages comparing them to the W1000. While I do believe this is a good thing to do because many people face the w100 or w1000 question but, I would really like to also know how good they are compared to other phones in their price range (boulevarde price). price range HD600 SR325 etc...

Anyway enough of my rant

In the end I just want to know a little more about the ATH-W100

I listen to: Pearl Jam, Led Zep, The Who, Velvet Underground, Massive Attack, Portishead, Sigur ros, Jack Johnson, Ben lee, and some jazz along with many other things.

What has been your experience with them?

I've owned or own
HD590
HP910
ER4S
V6
SR80
KSC35
to name a few

I own a Airhead and soon a CMOY with an upgrade to a Meta probably on the horizon in 3 months or so if needed.

Sources:
Sony Reciever (don't remember the model)
Sony MZ-n707 MD player
Turtle Beach Soundcard

This will most likely be my final upgrade of a headphone, at least until after I upgrade my reciever source and AMP collection.

I'm very most likely picking one up so I just want to know what to expect.

Thanks Bruce

May 10, 2003 at 10:20 AM Post #2 of 15
I was very fond of my W100, but I think I have to say I prefer the W1000 overall. The W100 has a few things going for it that the W1000 doesn't; a lush, lush midrange most of all.

However, overall, I prefer the W1000's higher trebles and deeper bass.

Both are very nice headphones, though.

- Chris

May 10, 2003 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 15
I just recently sold mine so my memories of the headphone is slowly fading. My biggest rant against the w100 was it's bass. It sounded very musical and "good" to my ears, but it just didn't want to go lower, feels like it just rolls off at a point. Vocals and midrange on the w100's are extremely lush, especially male voices...this was what was holding me back from selling them. Highs were on the slightly harsh side, but not as harsh as grados tho. Like most reviews say, it really is more geared for slower, vocal based music. Fast paced music, especially rock just didn't give the impact and quickness as my grados, I even preferred my SR80's over the w100's for this genre. The soundstage on it to me wasn't anything too impressive, but okay. It actually reminded me of my old hd600's soundstage. Again I can't recall real details, but if you can get it around the used market price of ~200-220, it's a great alternative to the other options.

May 10, 2003 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 15
I'm not a real fan of the SR80's (I've only logged about 5hrs of personal listening time on them) bass so maybe I will like it.....
Hmmmm I dunno maybe I'm alone hear but, I thought the bass on the HD590's (for comparision) was much better than that of the SR80's.

May 10, 2003 at 11:05 AM Post #5 of 15
bthorny...

Considering that the list price for W100s is $319... wouldn't you be better off to compare like for like... so ignoring your feelings for the SR80, and heading straight up to the SR325? (I'm not ignoring Soupys post... just thinking of a like for like assesment)

I'm going to try and get a demo of the SR80 today... to see what I think compared to the SR325... can't promise though
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2003 at 12:38 PM Post #7 of 15
bthorny,

I just wrote some impressions on the W100 and CD1700 yesterday. Check out that thread for more detailed impressions. I personally think the W100 gets a bad rap. Yes the bass doesn't extend quite as much and yes the same is true of the treble but I've only really noticed the lack of extension on a couple of recordings. People make it sound like there is nothing there when in reality it rolls off no worse than an average speaker. Plus the bass is extremely detailed and tuneful.

For me the W100's replaced HD580's. I didn't get to do a direct comparison but I know what I did and didn't like about the 580's. In my setup the 580's had big mid bass hump that contaminated the mids and was quite distracting on most recordings. The bass was far less detailed than the W100's and in my system were much slower and didn't extend much further. (I think the 580's are capable of more extension though). The mids were a bit recessed on the 580's where there is more of an empasis on this in the W100's. The highs in my opinion were about equal with the edge for detail going to the W100's. (I don't find the highs harsh in the least and I'm usually quite sensitive to this) The W100's give a much closer intimate presentation while the HD580's kept me at arms length. Also the 580's seemed to just fall apart on certain recordings sounding muddy and not able to keep the proper pace. Arguably this is due to my setup though. The W100's on the other hand have handled everything I've thrown at them at least acceptably well. Yes, if your main focus is rock I would look elsewhere but if your looking for a phone for mostly acoustic, jazz and even electronica and older rock like Pink Floyd the W100's are an excellent choice. They can also handle things like Tool and NIN in an acceptable fashion though I'm sure other headphones may do a better job.

I personally much prefer the W100's to the HD580's and could quite happily live with them for the long term. I think it just comes down to a matter of priorities and preferences.

May 10, 2003 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 15
Some historical perspective. First, the W100 (and the other AT cans, such as the W2002) was initially available in the states (and Germany, etc.) only via a direct purchase from AT-Singapore. So very few of us bought them. Then, about six to eight months later, AudioCubes began carrying headphones, and would ship the top-end AT cans into the US and Europe from Japan. These cans are still not available in the US from normal import/distribution channels. The W1000 and the A1000 were both released fairly recently, and hence many of us who bought them were already enamored of the AT cans or were intrigued and wanted to try out something in the line.

The ATs can be run from many sources, but they benefit from a really good amp -- and the threads suggest which ones work well. I honestly believe that any "knock" on the frequency extremes is based on some relative inexperience and poor recordings -- and I also believe that many modern CDs are mixed for crummy systems and mass-market listeners, not for good systems and educated/experienced/audiophile listeners.

The strengths of the AT lineup are definitely the midrange transparency and the overall presentation of the music. They're unforgiving of crappy recordings, they are not bass boom monsters, and they're not shrill. What really makes a major difference in the sound of most headphones at the frequency extremes is the fit of the headphones to your ears (that's the bass response) and the individual variances in your ear canal resonance (that's the highs). Then factor in the music, the source, and the amp. There's no perfect set of compromises for all listeners -- and they're all compromises.

The perceived depth of bass response is also, at least to my reading, very colored by what the listener brings to the experience. When I read complaints about the bass response of many of these excellent headphones, I think what many of the listeners are complaining about is the LACK of an elevated mid-bass response, because that's what they're used to thinking of as bass response. In cans or speakers, designers can increase perceived or real bass response by elevating response higher in the frequency range of the bass in a manner that results in peaks prior to drop off. So a smoother and flatter bass response is heard as lacking by many listeners, when it is really more neutral and "realistic."

May 10, 2003 at 2:40 PM Post #9 of 15
Very well stated and I agree almost completely Jan.

I would only add that the rolloff I've heard in the bass of the W100's has only been apparent on two recordings that I can think of. Dadawa's "Sister Drum" which has some incredibly low bass when the drums kick in during the chorus. I've used this recording for ages now to test for speed and extension but anyone who didn't know it would still think the W100's did a fine job, but for me the ultimate bottom end is not quite there in the way I'm used to. It's also been apparent in Nathan Wiley's "Home" and "Long Live Sin" which for some reason has some really low tones added to a couple of bass notes. Again though, they are not missing completely and if you didn't know they were there in the first place you wouldn't miss them.

May 10, 2003 at 10:12 PM Post #11 of 15
from my admitedly brief experience with the w100s, I remember their midrange being a clear standout. The highs and lows were a bit rolled off, but the midrange really sung. I'd guess these are THE phones for female vocals. Now that I think about it, these phones really sound like an mg head, don't they?

May 12, 2003 at 1:11 AM Post #12 of 15
I just bought Minya's W100s. I can state without reservation that they have no bass response. They also have no midrange or treble. This could be because, at the moment, they have no cord
tongue.gif

I was looking for a pair of cans to experiment on, when these volunteered. Next weekend they get a new cable (Canare sq in black, I would guess). From there I intend to start messing with the response (I will do a baseline first). I see a couple of things in the design that make me curious, and I would already guess that the bass rolloff might be somewhat adjustable. I can't stand punched up midbass, so I will be after deep bass extension (which most dynamic cans seem to lack). Should be interesting.

I will post an exploded view for those who love carnage!

gerG

May 12, 2003 at 1:53 AM Post #13 of 15
[size=small]You cut off that cord????????????[/size]

Did you know that that the AT's cord is a pretty expensive run of specially-processed Ohno continuous cast copper? It's the same stuff used in many superb cables, such as the Outlaws, Harmonic Technology, etc.

I know the brown silk cover may not have been what you would like, but....

May 12, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #14 of 15
I think gerg bought a defective w100 at a really low price from minya, the one's FCJ returned in order to purchase mine. It had a loose/faulty cable connection I believe...Take some **** pics!

May 12, 2003 at 4:23 AM Post #15 of 15
Yeah, the cable had ground problems at both ends. I tried to get into the plug, but it would have taken me forever to disect the potting that was in there. I don't like the AT cords, so there will be more of these cables in the scrap bin before I am done. I was not impressed by the cord's construction. It may be copper with a pedigree, but there sure isn't much of it there. It is also unforgivably microphonic.

Too bad the Outlaw cable is so heavy. It would make a killer headphone cable otherwise.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back