Well rounded headphone for under 400$?
Mar 4, 2014 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Toxicman1994

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone I want some help... Maybe you can suggest me a good pair of headphones.
I'm looking for an improvement from what I've already owned so far and maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I listen to a wide range of genres, dubstep, drum and bass, house music, ambient, classic rock, metal, acoustic, alternative, etc.

I do really like electronic music I'd say that's like, at least half the music I listen to, the other half is either alternative, rock, or acoustic.
I notice the ATH AD1000x REALLY brings the warmth out in anything with vocals, guitars, woodwinds, classical, classic rock, etc.

I want a headphone that is well balanced, and sounds detailed in all range of frequencies, but I want that with a nice
bass thump for aggressive music, I don't want something that is too bright, I owned a few audio technica pairs like the
ATH A900x (my fave so far), and the ATH- AD1000x, and while they sounded pretty good, they sounded a bit harsh for my
ears in the higher frequencies. I DO NOT want a basshead headphone, I want something that is moderate and flat, but with a very slight bass emphasis.
Something that can make Dubstep, Drum and bass, and electronic music like that sound great, but at the same time bring out the warmth in a guitar, or vocals.

My opinions with what I have owned so far:
ATH A900x-
Pros: Sounds pretty flat to me, Nice thumping bass (Anything on par with the bass of these would suffice)
Cons: A bit too bright for me on the treble, fits oddly atleast for me, not the warmest pair when it comes to mids

ATH AD1000x- (I realize Open back headphones have less bass)
Pros: AMAZING Mids and highs. Very warm. Absolutely incredible, great soundstage, etc. 
Cons: I need to EQ it to have enough bass, or to even sound good, and even then, the air movement isn't the same as on the A900X...
 also the upper mids and lower treble is over emphasized for my tastes. (just a little) No thump. but the bass extends deeper than the A900x.

I guess what I'm looking for, is a headphone that sounds like the AD1000x, warm and full, except with a good bass thump. 
Everything else is fine with the AD1000x, I love that headphone, it's just I really miss the bass thump.
If it needs to be closed back then so be it.

It's not really that the AD1000x doesn't have enough bass... It's just that it doesn't pop like an explosion like it did in the A900X.
Maybe I am just describing the difference between open back and closed back. Not sure. 

Again I am not familiar with all the terminology with audio and I am still finding my way in this stuff. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi,

I think you might find this article pretty interesting:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/two-strike-zone-focal-spirit-professional-and-spirit-classic

Best Luck!

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 3
  Hi,

I think you might find this article pretty interesting:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/two-strike-zone-focal-spirit-professional-and-spirit-classic

Best Luck!

That's a good suggestion but they may be too neutral for EDM but still a wonderful headphone from everything I've read.  If you can save up another $100, I would suggest the Shure SRH1540.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back