Well recorded hip-hop
Dec 20, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #16 of 30
K-OS is Canadian and I'm not sure how much he has broken into the US market. But any time a US reviewer hears his stuff, they always claim he is the next big thing. He is intelligent, talented and he plays the majority of the instruments on his album. He is high-order hip hop, I'm thinking of the more intelligent Black Eyed Peas tracks as well as Wyclef in terms of the sound but something like Crabbucket (seriously sample this track) to discover something really creative on an already noteworthy album.

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #17 of 30
Actually, a lot of it doesn't sound too bad. Simply because it's not pop or rock, the engineers don't go for that over-compressed sound. More than a few times I've been shocked by how good the vocals sound---simply because I'm used to them being over-compressed.

On the other hand, some poppy hip-hop just has...well...issues. There are a lot of things I hear on MTV that I thought were jokes at first...who samples distorted bass? I guess since it's pretty high in frequency it can be reproduced on bad systems. But it also sounds bad everywhere. WHY OH WHY? I don't want to look around wondering why my car is resonating, just to find out I'm in my bed with headphones on.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K-OS is Canadian and I'm not sure how much he has broken into the US market. But any time a US reviewer hears his stuff, they always claim he is the next big thing. He is intelligent, talented and he plays the majority of the instruments on his album. He is high-order hip hop, I'm thinking of the more intelligent Black Eyed Peas tracks as well as Wyclef in terms of the sound but something like Crabbucket (seriously sample this track) to discover something really creative on an already noteworthy album.

I've gone ahead and ordered K-OS's "Joyful Rebellion" since it has the track Crabbucket that you were talking about. That and because his newest album "Atlantis..." is still on [IMPORT] status from amazon and costs twice as much.

Looking forward to checking this guy out! I love new hip-hop, especially when it is getting such positive reviews like K-Os is.

Dec 20, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #21 of 30
You're very rarely gonna get realistic natural insteument sounds in hiphop but that doesn't stop something like Miss E... So Addictive (and a lot of other Timbaland productions) sounding absolutely ludircously detailed and rich on a good system. Cannibal Ox seconded too.

Dec 21, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #22 of 30
The latest Black Eyed Peas album has good quality and contains one of my favorite test tracks -- "They Don't Want Music". Good horns and a crazy bass sample.

The vocals in Jurassic 5 recordings are also really well recorded. Some of the samples are a bit less so, but their music (especially from Quality Control) is a great blend, so the lack of fidelity in samples rarely bothers me.

Dec 21, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first thing I thought of is Dr. Dre. No?

Just listening to The Chronic and I got to agree.

On another note, I listened to some samples of the K-OS album and now have them on my to buy list. Good work y'all.

Dec 22, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #24 of 30
Second Missy Albums. Really, anything recent or remastered. The Biggie Ready to Die Remaster is quite good, I think.

I agree that hip hop often seems to me to have some of the best production, period. Some of the older stuff could use a remaster, but really, it is quite excellent.

-- David

Dec 30, 2006 at 10:51 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by debrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cannibal Ox: The Cold Vein

El-P's productions are incredibly dense and detailed and reward close listening. Fantastic Damage is remarkable, and the Company Flow LP is far less polished, but absolutely essential.

Also, the Neptunes may be ubiquitous and overplayed, but I think their attention to sound and sonic detail is quite underrated. No lazy samples or presets...

Dec 30, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just listening to The Chronic and I got to agree.

My all time favorite Hip-Hop CD.

I'll never tire of The Chronic.

Another vote for Dre here
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back