WELL-RECORDED classical performances that knocked you out.
Mar 23, 2002 at 12:47 PM Post #32 of 66
Elgar's Cello Concerto with Jacqueline Du Pre, LSO conducted by Sir John Barbirolli. I had the EMI LP which sounded better than the CD by multitudes- the sound is lush and the performance is definitive (I heard Casals's, recorded in the late 30s, making it ineligible
frown.gif
). It's not a piece you'd put on before heading out for a night out in the town- it's depressing and evocative- probably more suitable for a cold winter's night.

Mar 26, 2002 at 9:30 AM Post #33 of 66
If you are looking for really well-recorded, atmospheric music, try Solti's recording of Wagner's Ring cycle with the Vienna Phil. If you have a turntable, try and find it on lp, as this is just sooooo good! The CD version is pretty good too.
Andrew

Mar 26, 2002 at 3:45 PM Post #34 of 66
Quote:

If you are looking for really well-recorded, atmospheric music, try Solti's recording of Wagner's Ring cycle with the Vienna Phil. If you have a turntable, try and find it on lp, as this is just sooooo good! The CD version is pretty good too.

LOL!

I love Solti and Wagner, but this one is in Mono!

Dec 29, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #35 of 66
Orchestral: Anything recorded by the Academy of St Martin's in The Fields. It'll be the same repertoire as any other orchestra, but just... better. They do, however tend not to go for the big stodgy epic stuff.

Wind: The Netherlands Wind Ensemble. Try the one "The NWE go to the Opera" Basically a small woodwind group playing the overtures and main arias from Rossini's "Barber of Seville" and Mozart's "Don Giovanni."

It may sound ambitious, since they are taking on all the parts of a full-blown orchestra, chorus, vocal soloists, (and a mandolin...), but it really works. Especially if you've heard the real thing. Perfectly recorded (in about 1976...) and perfectly played, but without coming over perfect / boring. Clean, precise and everyone totally at the top of their game.

Brass Bands: Anything by The Black Dyke Mills Band. They do arrangements of classical pieces and are awe-inspiring. Their version of Holst's Planets Suite takes any orchestra round the back of the concert hall and gives them a real kicking.

Vocal. Barbara Bonney (Soprano) Andreas Scholl (Counter - Tenor = fasetto / Jimmy Somerville range). Best singers anywhere.

For tenors, the celebrity clowns around these days are pretty rubbish. I know you didn't want old stuff, but if you listen to anything by Jussi Bjoerling, you'll hear how it should be done.

Mozart Primer: The soundtrack to the film "Amadeus" Realise that the bloke never wrote a duff note.

Dec 29, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #36 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Hi,
2. probably of more recent vintage (no mono tracks from the 30's, please)

markl

I wouldn't dismiss "mono tracks" from the 20-50s out of hand. If you do, you'll be missing out on a lot of great stuff. If you find a recording that has been remastered by someone who knows what they're doing, you may unearth some gems. For starters, try the Naxos Historical label (they're the ones in blue). They use two of the best--Mark Obert-Thorn and Ward Marston.

Since you've started with Bach (great choice), I would try the Brandenberg version by Trevor Pinnock (it's on DG). Lately, I've been listening to a number of versions of Bach's Cello Suites, which are some of the most profound classical works around. I would start with Rostropovich's version on EMI.

Regarding the Penguin guide, I generally like their recommendations. What you should do is try some of their more highly-regarded CDs first, and if you like them, your preferences probably align with theirs and you can trust what they recommend.

One other source for classical recommendations is the news group rec.music.classical.recordings.

Dec 29, 2002 at 11:36 PM Post #37 of 66
Here is another one you must all check out, this one was made for headphones!

B00003Q02G.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Strauss: Also sprach Zarathustra

Composer: Richard Strauss, Camille Saint-Saens

Conductor: Jorge Mester

Performer: Hector Olivera

Label: Newport Classics - #10010
Audio CD (January 11, 2000)

1. Also sprach Zarathustra (Thus Spoke Zoroaster), tone poem for orchestra, Op. 30
Composed by Richard Strauss
Performed by Pasadena Symphony with Hector Olivera
Conducted by Jorge Mester

2. Symphony No. 3 ("Organ"), in C minor, Op. 78
Composed by Camille Saint-Saens
Performed by Pasadena Symphony with Hector Olivera
Conducted by Jorge Mester

Dec 30, 2002 at 5:44 PM Post #38 of 66
Some nice performances with relatively recent good recordings.

Recital (Bach/Busoni, Haydn, Beethoven op 110), Brendel, Philips
Shubert. Piano sonata D894, Brendel. Philips, (live in Frankfurt, 2CDs with other sonatas, 894 is the best performance for me, for 959/960 his studio ones are better)
Bruckner, Symphony No.5, Sinopoli, DG
Mahler, Das Lied von der Erde, Boulez/VPO, DG
Mahler, Symphony No.3, Nagano, Telarc
Ligeti, String Quartets, Arditti SQ, Sony
Messiaen, Vingt regards, Aimard, Telarc
Stravinsky, Rite, Gergiev, Philips
Heiner Goebbels (is it classical?
smily_headphones1.gif
Surrogate Cities, ECM

Dec 30, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #39 of 66
prokofiev: symphony #6 on chandos, cond: neeme jarvi.

this one is not a new disc, but the recording, music and performance are mind-blowing. it will "knock you out".
wink.gif

there are many essential recordings in mono:

bach: goldberg variations / glenn gould (1st recording)

beethoven: violin concerto / menuhin & furtwangler

etc.

Dec 30, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #40 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
there are many essential recordings in mono:

bach: goldberg variations / glenn gould (1st recording)

etc.

Pick up the new reissue called "A Sense of Wonder." It includes both Gould's first and last recording of the Goldbergs. Also, the final recording is not the awful digital version but a newly-found analog one. It's amazing, and the price is good--two CDs for the price of one.

Dec 30, 2002 at 8:01 PM Post #41 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
Pick up the new reissue called "A Sense of Wonder." It includes both Gould's first and last recording of the Goldbergs. Also, the final recording is not the awful digital version but a newly-found analog one. It's amazing, and the price is good--two CDs for the price of one.

thanks for reminding me, fcj. i have been meaning to get this. is this a dual-layered sacd?

btw, my goldberg/gould collection is:
the original mono lp of the goldbergs
a simulated stereo original goldbergs on tape
the "masterworks" cd of the original goldbergs in mono
the sony remaster of the original in mono
the new version on vinyl
the new version on cd

all i need now are the "wonder" discs and the video and i can retire.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 30, 2002 at 8:06 PM Post #42 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
thanks for reminding me, fcj. i have been meaning to get this. is this a dual-layered sacd?

btw, my goldberg/gould collection is:
the original mono lp of the goldbergs
a simulated stereo original goldbergs on tape
the "masterworks" cd of the original goldbergs in mono
the sony remaster of the original in mono
the new version on vinyl
the new version on cd

all i need now are the "wonder" discs and the video and i can retire.
rolleyes.gif

No, unfortunately it's not SACD.

Although there is a version of the 1981 Goldbergs out on SACD. I haven't heard it.

You can't retire just yet--I bet there will be other remasterings in the future. Gould still sells well, so why not?

OT--thanks to you and your review, I am awaiting a pair of Eggos
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #43 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
No, unfortunately it's not SACD.

Although there is a version of the 1981 Goldbergs out on SACD. I haven't heard it.

You can't retire just yet--I bet there will be other remasterings in the future. Gould still sells well, so why not?

OT--thanks to you and your review, I am awaiting a pair of Eggos
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

you're welcome. i'm sure you'll enjoy them. my grado sr125 arrive tomorrow!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2002 at 3:09 AM Post #44 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
As I've mentioned before several times on these boards and will continue to do so since I love these CDs so much, here are my two favorites:

1. Bartok -- 6 String Quartets, performed by the Emerson String Quartet (Deutsche Grammophon)

This is a 2-CD set filled with the most amazing music I have ever heard in my life. I also have the Juilliard Quartet's rendition of the 6 string quartets, but they are so lifeless and bland in comparison.

I think my father put it best when he said this:
"After listening to the Juilliard Quartet's performance, I couldn't understand why Bartok's string quartets were called 'the best thing to happen to music since Beethoven's string quartets.' After listening to the Emerson Quartet's performance, it all became clear."

Bartok's music is very complex and is difficult to appreciate if you're not already a hard-core classical music fan. If your favorite music is by Vivaldi or Johann Strauss, Bartok probably isn't for you (and neither is Schoenberg, for that matter
biggrin.gif
). But I'd suggest giving it a listen anyway.

Dan

ah. i'm in luck. someone who can answer a question about these discs. i've been listening again (music generally, bartok particularly) and dug out this set. i've got a D25S, Home HeadRoom, HD600. the question: the separation among the violins, cello, viola is quite clear. the viola and cello are clearly separate, both from each other and the violins. but the violins seem amorphously left, but not distinctly placed.

the viola sounds out at right ear level, the cello higher and right of center. but the violins are different. the first is above center on the left, the second in virtually the same spot.

does anyone hear this?

thanks,
robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back