Well Recorded Acoustic Guitar music
May 17, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 27
I highly recommend Phil Keaggy's instrumental material, particularly The Master and the Musician and Beyond Nature. Excellent musical material in and of itself, but the recording fidelity of those albums is also fantastic.

May 18, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 27
Some slight electrification may sneak into a few of these, but they're mostly acoustic:

Leo Kottke - Six and Twelve String Guitar
Larry Coryell - Dragon Gate
Larry Coryell and John McLaughlin - Spaces
Larry Coryell and Ralph Towner - The Restful Mind
Larry Coryell and Phillipe Catherine - Twin House
John McLauglin - My Goal's Beyond
Joe Pass - anything you can get
Pat Martino - Baiyina
Pat Martino - Footprints

There's so much more out there.

- Ed

May 18, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #9 of 27
DiMeola, McLaughlin & DeLucia, Friday Night in San Francisco.

Juber, LJ Plays the Beatles.

May 20, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 27
Puorquoi Quebec? by Tony McManus -- Celtic guitar music played with great spirits.

Clockwork by Alex DeGrassi, and indeed most guitar albums from the golden age of Windham Hill.

American Acoustic by Eric Tingstad & Nancy Rumbel -- may be too sedate for some, but those who takes the effort to listen will find themselves on an enjoyable sojourn through a variety of American regional styles.

On the classical side, I love the three Naxos discs on Paganini's guitar and violin sonatas by Norbert Kraft and Moshe Hammer: these are tuneful, light-hearted music, played beautifully and recorded in superb sound.

May 20, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 27
"Acoustic Live" - Nils Lofgren

May 21, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #14 of 27
Muddy Waters - Folk Singer

Absolutely amazing album featuring Buddy Guy's first recorded performance (as far as I am aware).  The recording quality is great, and you can really pick up all of the little details that make acoustic recordings so fun to listen to.  Blues albums don't get much better than this one IMO.

May 21, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #15 of 27
Pata Negra: Blues De La Frontera is a phenomenal album.  Spanish guitar, with heavy blues influences.  They actually call it 'bluesleria'.   My favorite track is #9, titled Morao Mellizo.  It has some string scratching (purposefully) which can be hair raising on the headphones, but the recording is top notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back