Well-Priced Portable DAC/Amp for Low Impedance Headphones
Jun 6, 2009 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

trigg3rhappy

Head-Fier
I was wondering what's a good portable DAC and Amp portable solution for my situation. My portable source would most likely be a laptop and/or iPod. I currently have only closed headphones: Beyerdynamic DT770 and Ultrasone Pro 900. I plan to add another low impedance headphone to my collection, the Grado sr325is, rs1i, or Alessandro ms2i or msp. So this question would probably suit the headphone I plan to get a bit later.

I havent really done much research on portable amp/dac solutions but here's a few models I have my eyes on:

Ray Samuel Audio Emmeline “The Predator”
HeadAmp pico upsampling
iBasso D10 Cobra
iBasso D3 Python
C&C XO+
Octavart O1
Storm B-3 Pro
StyleAudio Carat-Topaz
Yulong UA188

Like I said, I haven't really done much research on portable dac/amp. Budget is a little tight for me, but I was considering getting one. If I was planning on saving up for one, then I'd like to know which was the premier choice to go with. I was thinking about the Predator, pico and Carat-Topaz, but with my budget, I sort of hesitated. Unless someone can enlighten me with some knowledge that the price truly justifies the value of it.

Yeah... Head-Fi hasn't been too nice on my wallet
frown.gif
especially as a college student. Let's hope the next purchase I make will bring me into pure bliss and make me forget about life's problems.
L3000.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 10
I would choose the Pico from these, since it has a great DAC and a good amp section especially for low impedance headphones, but I agree with boomana's sticky post (portable amps aren't the answer). So I would rather have a small desktop amp and maybe a separate DAC.

But the Pico is also good as a temporary solution, you can connect it to a desktop amp later on.
It is a bit unrelated, but I really liked the ATH-ESW10JPNs, they sounded great even without any amplification so I guess the ESW9 would be quite good as well for portable use.

Jun 6, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would choose the Pico from these, since it has a great DAC and a good amp section especially for low impedance headphones, but I agree with boomana's sticky post (portable amps aren't the answer). So I would rather have a small desktop amp and maybe a separate DAC.

But the Pico is also good as a temporary solution, you can connect it to a desktop amp later on.
It is a bit unrelated, but I really liked the ATH-ESW10JPNs, they sounded great even without any amplification so I guess the ESW9 would be quite good as well for portable use.

I've actually skimmed through that sticky post once before. I never really took the time to read it, since I was short on time. Now that you mentioned it again, yeah, it was good to take the time and read that.

Yeah, I've heard a lot about that situation that portable amps aren't the best solution. They won't replicate what the headphones are claimed to be good and famous for. I just wanted it as a portable source, not a permanent source. I wanted something good for on the go whenever I couldn't be at home. I don't plan to bring permanent home equipment with me when I'm at school.

I'm currently going to college, and I'm constantly at lab late at night. Sometimes I have to stay overnight and do lots of programming. I want something nice to listen to, to keep me sane, calm, and relaxed. As far as desktop dacs, I'm looking at Diyeden Great March II in particular or a Audio-gd Compass (seems like what a lot of people tend to get or have). Possibly I might go for a cheaper solution such as the Tianyun Zero or Zhaolu D3. Maybe later if I ever get the hd650 I plan to sometime get, maybe I'll get a WooAudio tube amp or something.

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 10
Hmm, I just tried out the iBasso D10 today. It does help my DT770 Pro a bit better. I'm curious how much difference a desktop dac would do. I haven't actually gotten a chance to try a Compass or Great March II. Too bad, there's not many people I know who I can try it out with before getting one. It'd be great if I could try stuff out for a better personal experience.

I regret missing out on CanJam 09, even though it was only a few hour drive from where I am now. I was busy in the underground labs -_-" on a weekend working on a team project, while constantly checking the head-fi for updates on CanJam events and information postings.

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 10
let me know if you hear the Compass to compare to D10.

Jun 12, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 10
Alright, I'll do that, assuming I ever get my hands or find someone I know with the Compass. Maybe whenever that mini-meet is set up somewhere in San Diego as I found in another posting on head-fi, maybe someone will happen to have a Compass. I know someone who's planning on attending that one that has a D10, so it might be a good change and experience to.

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't forget the corda 2move

I second this suggestion. You might be able to find a good used 2Move or 3Move in the FS forum. They pop up time to time. Just take your time about any purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back