Well my ef2 hybrid arrived in the mail today....
Aug 3, 2009 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Rock n Rolla

Head-Fier
I have been listening to my hd600s without an amp for about a week now.

well I got my amp.....wasn't impressed with the packaging......just a smashed box with the hybrid wrapped up in foam.....
I am trying to compare it to with no amp...
what does the amp actually do? I "think" it sounds better.....or maybe I'm just tricking myself it sounds better? Im not sure......please reassure me that the amp is needed...I think it sound better....I hope it sounds better...

maybe if I listen to them amped for a few weeks then listen to them unamped, I will be able to tell the difference?

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 9
So, you've been listening amped for a couple hours, and aren't impressed?

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, you've been listening amped for a couple hours, and aren't impressed?

I am impressed but it's not like "WOW these sound so much better amped"
ph34r.gif

are they supposed to sound generally better, or much better than un-amped, because they sound generally better....which I am happy with, if that's what they are supposed to sound like

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 9
Hey decision is yours. If you can't hear any difference, you have a 'golden' ears. Just sell the amp and use them unamped. However, I suggest you do what you wrote in OP, use it for a week or so then try unamped, then you might hear the difference.

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 9
Welcome to the real world!

Edit: Actually it is a hybrid amp, so a difference might be audible. Even so I would make some RMAA measurements to make sure.
If it has some distortion over 0.5% you might actually here something over time.
Edit 2: Forgot to mention, if the measured frequency response is flat and there is not very high THD% then you won't be hearing any improvement

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the real world!

Edit: Actually it is a hybrid amp, so a difference might be audible. Even so I would make some RMAA measurements to make sure.
If it has some distortion over 0.5% you might actually here something over time.

how do i make rmaa measurements?

I really don't think I am going to send it in, I can hear a difference, it sounds 'clearer' or more 'crisp'

It also looks badass sitting on my desk
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 9
Ok, for a RMAA test you are going to need the following:

- Computer
- Sound card with Input (either stereo jack In, or RCA In)
- stereo male jack to 2x female jack
- RMAA which you can download from here: Download. Audio Rightmark
- Cables to connect everything together, depending on what sound card you have.

If you have all of that tell me.

EDIT: You should also read the Users guide. I haven't read it completely, but will do so now. From here (PDF): http://audio.rightmark.org/downloads...7s%20Guide.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back