Well i would like recommendation of tube amps
Aug 4, 2012 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SoftE

New Head-Fier
Okay so I want/need a new amp, the one i have is the portable pav2v2. I am looking for a Desktop tube amp that has many tube rolling options and captures the tube amp sound. All this for less than $350 just recommend amps for me to check out in this price range and no trash amps ;p tube amps. Note: can be hybrid.
Thank you in advance guys :)

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
Okay so I want/need a new amp, the one i have is the portable pav2v2. I am looking for a Desktop tube amp that has many tube rolling options and captures the tube amp sound. All this for less than $350 just recommend amps for me to check out in this price range and no trash amps ;p tube amps. Note: can be hybrid.
Thank you in advance guys :)

I've owned a half dozen tube amps over about 25 years. Some sound real tubey, some sound SS. The one I own now is one of the best of all past amps.

I've only owned it for a couple of weeks, and I'm very happy with all aspects of it. The build quality is fantastic, the sound quality is Fantastic! and the price was nice.

Schiit Valhalla b-stock for $300. The amp is fast, accurate, and has a good smooth rich tube midrange. It has the tightest bass control I've ever heard for a sub $1k. amp.

I've never paid more than $1000. for any of my past amps, so keep that in mind, as there maybe better amps for more money.

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
mr Tom,

wld you recommend Schiit Valhalla for rock and metal music? Im using a pair of grados sr225. thanks

The only music I've played on the Valhalla that did not sound great was Dead kennedy's Frankenchrist(too much guitar).

Metallica, Van Halen, Scorps, Motorhead, BlackFlag, Plasmatics, AC/DC, Ozzy, Minor Threat, Rush and a few others, all sound great!

Aug 4, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 12
Metallica? ACDC? Ozzy and Rush?! Good to know! ok, i'll order one soon 
biggrin.gif

we probably have similar taste and i do love extreme metal as well. And some good vocals/ mellow music when the mood is right. Sounds like a amp to go for. i was thinking about the new Meier Rock.

you err... replace the tubes with anything good?

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Metallica? ACDC? Ozzy and Rush?! Good to know! ok, i'll order one soon 
biggrin.gif

we probably have similar taste and i do love extreme metal as well. And some good vocals/ mellow music when the mood is right. Sounds like a amp to go for. i was thinking about the new Meier Rock.

you err... replace the tubes with anything good?

I dug around today and found some tubes I forget I had. There 1972 6n1p-BN. There the finest made tubes I've ever seen. There sounds is so pin point precise, that it's down right scary with the lights off. Very deep punchy bass, and more sub like bass then I've heard from any other tubes. But the treble comes thru as clear as the bass, so there hard on the ears with anything thats not perfectly mastered! So I have a handful of albums that have never sounded sooo perfect, and a truck load of albums that I can not enjoy(unless the volume is very low). The tubes look just like this one in the pic. Notice the fine detail in the insulating spacers, not something you see everyday.

I'm holding true to my findings on that the 6n23p is best for everyday use, with any type of music. The 6n23p does nothing Excellent, and most everything Good~very good.

Listening to the 6n1p-bn as I type this. Talk about lip smacking detail! It's like being there!

Aug 5, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks everyone :) looks a clear winner here :) one question about that amp, I heard from somewhere it has limited tube rolling ability. Ifs that true our they just picking my leg?

Aug 5, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Thanks everyone
smily_headphones1.gif
looks a clear winner here
smily_headphones1.gif
one question about that amp, I heard from somewhere it has limited tube rolling ability. Ifs that true our they just picking my leg?

All Valhallas made after May have full rolling ability.

Aug 5, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 12
Two thoughts here:

I briefly had the Valhalla before getting an RMA. It had nice tones, texture, and details. However, mine might have had something defective in it because there was always a channel imbalance that followed the tubes no matter how many sets of balanced tubes I used. Also, it seemed to lack power if that makes any sense. I got the feeling it was underperforming.

If you're using Grados, an OTL like the Valhalla is not a good match. Since the Grados are low impedance, you'll want a hybrid or a transformer coupled tube amp. Consider trying the Bellari HA540 with a Mullard reissue tube. That will bring power but will also tame some of the Grado shrill.

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
Two thoughts here:
I briefly had the Valhalla before getting an RMA. It had nice tones, texture, and details. However, mine might have had something defective in it because there was always a channel imbalance that followed the tubes no matter how many sets of balanced tubes I used. Also, it seemed to lack power if that makes any sense. I got the feeling it was underperforming.
If you're using Grados, an OTL like the Valhalla is not a good match. Since the Grados are low impedance, you'll want a hybrid or a transformer coupled tube amp. Consider trying the Bellari HA540 with a Mullard reissue tube. That will bring power but will also tame some of the Grado shrill.

I will have to check that one out :) they are low impedance :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back