Well, I promised my self I wouldn't ask about amps yet, but...
Nov 10, 2002 at 6:47 PM Post #17 of 61
Well, yes, I'm using it from my computer, but I have a nice sound card (Terratec DMX 6-Fire) so it sounds really good. At least as good as a CD player somehwere outside my current budget. As it is, I don't have that many CDs anyway. I'm all tangled up in gigs of MP3s... But when I do start buying more CDs, (not that far off now) I'll do some research and find a good lossles compreson format and put them on my hard drive. It's much easier and better that way and I don't have to wory about scratching the discs. (Or listening to my noisey CD-ROM, which has digital out, so no one snap my head off for that one
wink.gif
)

I'm not worried about portable amps either, I want to be able to plug in to the wall and not worry about bateries. If I want to walk around with my discman, which I don't, I'll just suck it up and use the 590s with no amp.. It's not THAT bad..

Nov 10, 2002 at 6:54 PM Post #19 of 61
Well, considering your source and software, there's no need to go so high up the amp food chain, unless you were buying in anticipation of moving to dedicated cdp and starting a CD collection. I think you would do well with a more modest amp, but most are battery powered. Seems like the Corda is at a level that would address your present and future needs.

Nov 10, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #20 of 61
That's pretty much how I see it. How's the porta Corda? It seems like a similar unit that is simply smaller, portable and less expensive. Apparently it can still be made to plug into the wall and then use an enhanced mode that takes more power... But I realize I'd probably be better off with the full sized verison. Just asking really.

Nov 10, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #21 of 61
I've been offered a realitively well equipped Meta 42 with two levels of cross-feed for $210. Do you guys think this will be a good amp for me? Is it worth the money? Should I go for the headamp instead, or something else? Thanks again everyone.

Nov 11, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #22 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkWolf
How's the porta Corda? It seems like a similar unit that is simply smaller, portable and less expensive. Apparently it can still be made to plug into the wall and then use an enhanced mode that takes more power.

I use the Porta Corda w/ the 590's and it works pretty well. Like you said, you can get an external power supply and plug it into the wall for a little extra juice. I'm upgrading to a Corda HA-1 pretty soon.

Plus, if you order 590 and a Porta Corda from Jan Meier you get a killer discount.

Nov 11, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #23 of 61
DarkWolf
HI: That is a good price for a META42. When you say head amp do you mean a headroom amp? if so the headroom amp that comes close to a META42 is the Cosmic at 800.00.

Nov 11, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #24 of 61
If you are listening to mp3's, I don't think an amp is a cost-effective solution. If you have $300, I would advise spending that money on the CD versions of all your favorite mp3's. You can join the CD clubs and get loads of free discs for signing up. By joining the clubs and with your $300 budget, I bet you could end up with almost 40-50CDs.

I think that's the best use of your cash. Get an amp later when you have material and a source that will benefit from one.

Mark

Nov 11, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #25 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
DarkWolf
HI: That is a good price for a META42. When you say head amp do you mean a headroom amp? if so the headroom amp that comes close to a META42 is the Cosmic at 800.00.

no, i mean Jan's HA-1. But does the little meta 42 really go toe to toe with headroom's offerings up to $800? If it does I just lost a lot of respect for headroom, but I suspect it's not quite that bad.

And to mark, you're probably right, but a CD collection is something I can pick away at, where as, an amp is soemthing I should buy before something else breaks on my car.
wink.gif

Nov 11, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #26 of 61
Well, I tried...
rolleyes.gif

I just hope for your sake you don't come back here with your new $300 amp complaining you can't tell the difference on your mp3s!

"Garbage in, garbage out!"

Mark

Nov 11, 2002 at 5:36 AM Post #27 of 61
Yup. I've also got all that nice vinyl to deal with.. I kind of want to have a quality headphone setup before i start messing with it though. I'm kind of a one thing at a time type of person. Right now I'm going for the phones and the amp that will last a while. Then I'll start moving upstream. An HA-1 isn't a bad investment is it?

Nov 11, 2002 at 5:47 AM Post #28 of 61
Quote:

An HA-1 isn't a bad investment is it?

I have never heard one, but based on the comments of those who have, and Dr. Meier's reputation......no, it's a good investment.

.....then you'll be shipping it off to KurtW for his Blue mod. We are truly sorry about your wallet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 11, 2002 at 6:30 AM Post #29 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
.....then you'll be shipping it off to KurtW for his Blue mod.

Or in your case, blue mod with purple led!!! I'm sure that if you ask him nicely he'll order you a purple one to make it truly customized!!! You'll be the only person with a Purple Corda!!

Lord Bless

Nov 11, 2002 at 6:40 AM Post #30 of 61
I'd like to learn more about the blue mod. What does it involve and what's the cost? And, yes, mine would be a purple corda, i like the sound of that..
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back