Well i got mugged and...
Mar 2, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #16 of 43
It's time you get grados. Who'd steal a grado eh? Look like it's worth 15$. Frankly, i wouldn't steal any sony V series.

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #17 of 43
grados is a no for on the go though....yo(man, why dont i have a record deal yet?) the open ness means when i sit in the bus eveyrone hears my music, when i sit in class everyone hears my music! and trust me, no one wants to hear MY music
biggrin.gif
. it also means i hear all their crap too.

im starting to lean toward the k81, its sleek sexy has bass isolates well doesnt need an amp.... it has EVERY requirement i want exept for the cirucum auralness. How big are the earcups compared to the sony mdr-v150-300 series?

Mar 2, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by xstephanx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...they took my beloved modded and well used sony MDR-V6 *sniff*.

so im looking for a replacement headphone, for just walking around town, as well as sitting at home and listening(but i have a good fullrange stereo for when i feel like the good stuff
smily_headphones1.gif
). When im walking around i listen to pretty much only metal, sometimes ska or something else upbeat. Im also a basshead and id rather not need to use an amp with these guys. im also a klutz, and need something reasonably sturdy!

Think closed, Think circumaural, and i like something that clamps my head(but dont reccomend hd280)

some ideas that came to mind just from lurking the board, were those wicked ass retro panasonics, AKG k81, and i like the look of the audio technicha ATH-PRO5, but as of yet havnt researched into sound really.

i live in canada and dont mind buying off the internet.

i was considering IEMs, a bit stealthier on the street etc, but i dont think ill find an IEM that compares favourable with a closed can for under 100$us.

Scratch out Sony and write Durabrand on your headphones.

or...

Get a pair of Creative EP630's for a cheap IEM. Sounds good and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Mar 2, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofreak7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Scratch out Sony and write Durabrand on your headphones.

You know, it's freaky, but until my fruitless rummaging through a thrift store earlier today, I was entirely ignorant of the Durabrand name. Weird conincidences.

I say, ebay some old yamaha orthodynamics and pack 'em with felt. Probably the best 'stealth' cans on earth. They will not inspire thieves.

Mar 2, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #20 of 43
i dont think people understand my qeustion quite right....

...these were the only pair of headphones i owned, so now im down to nill. i need an allrounder that doesnt mind going out into the real world. and its occurred to me, that i really dont wanna have to fiddle wiht a nice pair of IEMs as my main cans, so ive managed to narrow it down between the panasonic and the akg......but cant seem to get any further than that. something a little more fun sounding than the v6.

im gonan try and order tomorrow cause im dieing wihtout headphones, but i cant decide on which one i want more and as of yet havnt gotten much feedback on the akgs earcup size.

im leaning toward AKG since durability is important and those thin metal wires would be unsuitable for backpack storage. If i am right in this assumtion, then its pretty much decided to go with the AKG. I just popped on my sisters sonys with the small cups that are like...semi circum aural, and with my small ears its really not as bad as i thought.

the only thing is the AKGs look mroe steal worthy, but i guess ill just have to wait till im on a bus or a subway to start my listening*sigh*

Mar 2, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #21 of 43
wow, that sucks that you got mugged! i thought that canada was much freer of that sort of thing than south of your border. the koss are wonderful. the senn cx300 will attract a lot less attention than the k81s, take up less room, and should satisfy your bass needs. you could get some igrados and/or the cx300s, and/or portapros for starters.

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #23 of 43
dude, really sorry to hear you got mugged, it happened to me too about a week ago. had my entire portable rig pinched!
anyways, i would recommend the k81dj or a dt770, but you will need a pretty loud source to drive the dt770, or an amp. i listen a LOT of metal on my dt770, and couldn't be happier with the bass.
that said, the cx300 are very low profile, and do have a lot of bloated big bass.

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #24 of 43
I got mugged at knife point before. He was caught a month later, having mugged quite a few people in the area. Went to id him at the police station, and he was picked out by a few of the victims. He did some time in the slammer - not nearly enough in my opinion, and that good behaviour c**p would get him out in only a couple of years.

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mugged at knife point before. He was caught a month later, having mugged quite a few people in the area. Went to id him at the police station, and he was picked out by a few of the victims. He did some time in the slammer - not nearly enough in my opinion, and that good behaviour c**p would get him out in only a couple of years.

Yeah sometimes I wish they just went with an eye for an eye here in the US and Canada on crime.

I would hazard to guess the crime rates would drop like a stone in both countries.

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #26 of 43
Damn, sorry to hear about your luck. I've never been outright mugged myself... just defrauded on ebay or ripped off by 'friends' when I was younger.

I notice in your first post that you would prefer circumaural headphones... that limits your choices quite a bit. I would suggest the AKG K271 Studio if you don't mind looking a little weird, but they really require an amp and probably wouldn't be a perfect match for you if you are a basshead. The K81 DJ is a good choice, but they are supra aural.

Stay away from any of the closed Sony's... they all suck.
evil_smiley.gif
[Well, the V6's aren't bad, but you are looking for something new right?]

I have a pair of HD201's that I use for testing equipment that you are welcome to if you live close or are willing to pay for shipping costs. They actually don't sound all that bad for sennheisers, but they don't isolate all that well, are surprisingly hard to drive and are sort of semi-circumaural. Still, they are yours if you want them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #27 of 43
Not sure you want to hear this, but wearing headphones makes you more of a target for getting mugged.

#1 you are an easier mark as you cannot hear them coming, you are not as aware, etc.

#2 if they are taking your headphones then they could be the reason you are being mugged (to get them).

To each their own, but getting mugged one time would probably change my habits. I like listening to music as well, but is it worth it? One of these times it could go much worse.

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #28 of 43
Maybe the Yuin PK2 ear-thingy's (not the stick-in-your-ear-canal buds) -- supposed to sound decent, and don't attract attention, and still can hear outside sound somewhat.

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #29 of 43
For the OP, you are probably right. It wouldn't be in the spirit of Head-Fi to re-purchase a pair of phones that you already know you like.

As for me personally, If my favorite phones were stolen (AKG K1000s), you can bet your bottom dollar that I would buy another pair in an instant.

As long as you can deal with the discomfort of wearing the AKG K81DJs, then I think they would be perfect for your application. As far as comfort is concerned, your milage may vary. Some claim they don't have comfort issues with them, and some do. For me, I did everything I could to make them comfortable, but nothing worked. Listening to them for more than 30 minutes at a time caused extreme pain. They are by far the most uncomfortable phones I have ever owned.

But I am rambling.

Summary:

Rebuying the Sonys that you already know you like is the safest bet.

If you want to stay within the spirit of Head-Fi, and try something different:

AKG K81DJs. Can be had for ~$50 or less. And pray that you don't have comfort issues.

BeyerDynamic DT250-80. Can be had used for $100. Very comfy, and surprisingly portable (low profile when you wear them). They don't color the music as much as the K81DJs do (IE they don't have bass bloat, they have a more neutral presentation). My only complaint with them is the coiled cord - I really do not like a coiled cords for portable use.

Whatever you decide upon, if you end up not liking it, you'll probably not have any problems selling it here at Head-Fi.

Be sure to let us know what you decide on, and how everything works out for you.

Good luck.

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #30 of 43
I totally understand what CODTD was saying. I was mugged in Atlantic City 12 years ago and I still get freaked out all the time about it. I don't understand why you think it was wrong for him to say that. Being mugged is a very stressful thing that can mess with your head for a long time to come.

edit. Lmilhan changed his post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back