Well i got mugged and...
Mar 2, 2007 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

xstephanx

Head-Fier
...they took my beloved modded and well used sony MDR-V6 *sniff*.

so im looking for a replacement headphone, for just walking around town, as well as sitting at home and listening(but i have a good fullrange stereo for when i feel like the good stuff
smily_headphones1.gif
). When im walking around i listen to pretty much only metal, sometimes ska or something else upbeat. Im also a basshead and id rather not need to use an amp with these guys. im also a klutz, and need something reasonably sturdy!

Think closed, Think circumaural, and i like something that clamps my head(but dont reccomend hd280)

some ideas that came to mind just from lurking the board, were those wicked ass retro panasonics, AKG k81, and i like the look of the audio technicha ATH-PRO5, but as of yet havnt researched into sound really.

i live in canada and dont mind buying off the internet.

i was considering IEMs, a bit stealthier on the street etc, but i dont think ill find an IEM that compares favourable with a closed can for under 100$us.

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 43
If you are a bass head, let me be the first to recommend the akg K 81 DJ; in fact, an amp tightens the bass so you wont want one with them. They clamp a little tight at first, enough to give a headache, but after a week or two of use they are relaxed but dont fall off when I walk. If you want to speed up the process, I would recommend stretching them over your computer or around a stack of CD-Rs.

As for the IEMs, the Shure e2c are under 100$ as well as the V-Moda Vibes which are both exceptional. I don't like IEMs for home use so I would much rather have the DJs.

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by xstephanx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mugged.

basshead.gif
That's awful. When I hear things like this, it makes me never want to leave my nice, quiet, cozy safe apartment. I don't have any recommendations. I use my cx-300s when I'm out. Lots of bass, but they are IEMs.

Why are some people bad.
confused.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think anyone would have recommended HD280 to a basshead anyway... at least I hope not, because those things didn't satisfy me at all and I think I'm a medium basshead.

It's funny, I've yet to find another headphone that can reproduce the drums on Dadawa's "Sister Drum" or the really deep, layered bass on some the the tracks on Nathan Wiley's "Bottom Dollar" album like the HD280 did. Yes, the 280's are a bit weak in the mid bass so they are perceived as bass lightweights yet the pair I owned really extended down there. This is not an endorsement for the HD280's as a basshead phone though, that lightweight midbass is why they have the rep they do.

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 43
yeah it was the second time in a month
frown.gif
, as a skinny white kid, i have a problem with getting hassled by the gangster types.

also waht about ath-pro500? they look pretty sleek, and pretty sturdy.

i liek the k81, but it doesnt look like it completely covers your ear...which is a no.

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 43
get the k81dj's. ask around for the $57 deal, i forget where it was.

only negatives i can think of are: discomfort with glasses, and a really long cord.

edit: nm, i missed the circumaural part...

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 43
Try a pair of UE Super.fi 5 EB's if you like bass. Grado Allesandro MS1 are nice too. And buy a can of mace
cool.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend a pair of these:

nailhead.jpg

And a can of pepper spray.

It looks like you can use those while golfing too...if you need an extra tee, just pop one off your headphone.
3000smile.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 43
i like the wit, but i need the info!

i cant decide between panasonic RP-HTX7 and the two audio technicha offerings.

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like you can use those while golfing too...if you need an extra tee, just pop one off your headphone.
3000smile.gif

LMAO!!!!

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #15 of 43
Yikes! i guess sometimes i sacrifice accuracy for rhetoric. i find while the bass was there inside, on the go it was a little lacking in the impact in the midd bass region, came in a little close to the ears, and didnt quite clamp enough.

Plus at an opportunity to try something different, would you REALLY pick the same thing again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back