Well, I did it; I finally purchased another Apple product.
Mar 14, 2008 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DNA Doc

100+ Head-Fier
Yep, subject says it all. I haven't owned an Apple product in a long time, but yesterday I came across a decent deal, and in a fit of impulse purchased a black 160gig ipod classic. I had been thinking about replacing my 60gig Creative ZVM (which I love, but I need more space) and while in BestBuy for another reason I came across an open box special. I asked the kid if we could open it up so I could have a look, and the thing was brand new- never taken out of the protective plastic seal, accessories never opened, etc. They wanted $309.00, but I talked them down quite a bit lower and ended up buying it. Given that refurbs are selling for $300.00 at Apple's site, I think I ended up with a pretty good deal.

While I'm not a big fan of iTunes, I am, on the whole, pleased with the ipod. Firmware was 1.03, I upgraded to 1.1.1 and have experienced no problems.

Anyway, I'm posting to let other know that you may be able to swing some decent deals this way. The store I was in had probably 6 different open box portable players, including another 160gig ipod and a couple Sansa clips, for example, and they are obviously willing to let you check them out for condition, and to negotiate on price.

As an aside, I do most of my portable listening on either the ZVM line out to a supermicroIV, or an iaudio7 unamped. Files are mostly lame-encoded 320mp3s. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the new ipod- for whatever reason, I had expected the SQ to be worse than it was. It's actually not bad at all to these ears, even unamped.

Mar 14, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 12
Quite a co-incidence. My son lost his to a recent fight with the washing machine. The washer won. I have heard more of where the ipod has on. He was happy. He got to move up to a 4 GB. The one that plays the videos as well. I don't know much about them. I just get to pay. Enjoy your new toy.

Mar 14, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 12
IMO, iPods are not as great as their more impassioned fanboys might think, and not as terrible as their more vocal critics would have us believe. They have their good points and their bad points (I like players that have a docking port; I use an iPod Nano when traveling -- with Future Sonics Atrios, it sounds quite good -- and connect it to portable Logitech speakers for listening in motel rooms, guest rooms, etc.). I think much depends on one's willingness to use iTunes.

Sources (in order of purchase):
2nd Generation 10GB iPod for Windows (retired)
Creative Muvo 256MB (recently found the receipt – over $100!!!)
Creative Muvo 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Carbon 5GB
Cowon iAudio 5 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Karma 20GB (low-mileage collector’s item / home jukebox)
Creative Zen Nano 1GB
Samsung YP-U2 512MB
4th Generation 40GB iPod (use as home jukebox)
2nd Generation iPod Nano 4GB
Creative Zen Stone 1GB
iRiver T60 2GB
Sandisk Sansa Clip 1GB
Sandisk Sansa Clip 2GB

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuwidol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome back my friend.

Thank you very much.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmantom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite a co-incidence. My son lost his to a recent fight with the washing machine. The washer won. I have heard more of where the ipod has on. He was happy. He got to move up to a 4 GB. The one that plays the videos as well. I don't know much about them. I just get to pay. Enjoy your new toy.

Thanks Carmantom. I had to laugh at your "I don't know much about them. I just get to pay" lines. Sorry to hear about your son's ipod, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, iPods are not as great as their more impassioned fanboys might think, and not as terrible as their more vocal critics would have us believe. They have their good points and their bad points (I like players that have a docking port; I use an iPod Nano when traveling -- with Future Sonics Atrios, it sounds quite good -- and connect it to portable Logitech speakers for listening in motel rooms, guest rooms, etc.). I think much depends on one's willingness to use iTunes.

I think you are absolutely correct here. Not as great as fanboys rave, but nowhere near as bad as I was expecting (in fact, as I wrote above- I actually think it sounds pretty good), and the use of iTunes is really the worst part for me (although I'm dealing with it).

All in all, I'm still happy with the purchase.

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 12
I really don't understand what the big problem is with iTunes. Never in my life have I had a problem with it. The ONLY other Media player I have liked more, was the Zune software, and that was only becasue it took up a little less memory while running. Other than iTunes taking up quite a bit of memory while it runs, it's never been bad to me. I'm an Apple fan, not a fanboy, but I really don't know why I've seen it bashed.

Mar 15, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't understand what the big problem is with iTunes.

For me it's simple. I have a certain way I do things with music on my computer. iTunes doesn't want to easily allow me to do things my way. I have a problem with all software like that, not just iTunes. iTunes is actually pretty nice if you want to give in and just do things Apple's way, but if not...

Furthermore, I hate the idea of having to use any specialized software for my music players. My music is well-tagged, and contained in a pretty clean file structure. I much prefer drag and drop ala Cowon or Archos. Just let me have my player show as another drive, and let me put files into it where and as I will.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well done!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks krmathis!

Mar 15, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Creative Muvo 256MB (recently found the receipt – over $100!!!)

I recently found the receipt for a very early MP3 player that I bought - the Sony 64MB NW-E3. £250!!! That's $500!!!
WOW

Mar 15, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't understand what the big problem is with iTunes. Never in my life have I had a problem with it. The ONLY other Media player I have liked more, was the Zune software, and that was only becasue it took up a little less memory while running. Other than iTunes taking up quite a bit of memory while it runs, it's never been bad to me. I'm an Apple fan, not a fanboy, but I really don't know why I've seen it bashed.

The main problem for me and probably a lot of other people is that iTunes can't play.flac files.

Mar 15, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasiveMunkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The main problem for me and probably a lot of other people is that iTunes can't play.flac files.

I didn't realize that (my flac collection is fairly small). Well, I can't say that thrills me either.

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for the tip about BestBuy. It is good to know that I can go somewhere local and try before buying...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back